Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Page 3 of 5
|Put a sign up the road before the bend saying "Nudist Colony 1km". |Guaranteed to slow cars down, however, honking horns may become a problem.
"Watch for Nudists, next 1.5 miles" (appropriate sillouhette graphic) Rex in Fort Worth
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:37:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote:

Better make that an umm... shapely graphic. I sure wouldn't slow down at the thought of catching a glimpse of your "average" nudist.
I'm reading this in RCM, so the obvious answer is to build one of these http://www.thefabricator.com/xp/Fabricator/Articles/Welding/Weld03/03web241.xml Anybody who won't slow down to look at a dinosaur made out of tractor parts deserves to crash into it. :-)
Wayne
| |>"Watch for Nudists, next 1.5 miles" |>(appropriate sillouhette graphic) |>Rex in Fort Worth| |Better make that an umm... shapely graphic. I sure wouldn't slow down |at the thought of catching a glimpse of your "average" nudist.
Yeah, don't want them covering their eyes ;)
Rex in Fort Worth
wmbjkREMOVE snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net wrote:

I imagine that any of those sculptures would put a hurting on the average rice burner... :)
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Thick brush is good, if you can find something that's suffiently durable and attractive. It stops cars effectively and safely.

species of shrubbery as a security barricade. it grows so dense a car cannot penetrate it. Alas, trying a google search of "shrub" or "bush" and "white house" is futile these days.
Mike
I remember seeing some very dense bushes in a nursery catalog years ago. It was supposed to grow dense enough to keep animals in it. I can't recall the name either, but seems it was a type of rose.
Al
============= AlienZen wrote:

right not the specific name escapes me, but the shrub is one used frequently in Africa for that purpose - it has a shiny leaf like holly and very nasty thorns that are about an inch long - you could probably turn it up by looking for "thorns" and bush and fence - for example http://www.anotherland.com/hg-1200.htm or for more actionable information try http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5327e/x5327e06.htm#3.15%20fencing which says"
Highly valued species for live fences are Euphorbia tirucalli, Albizia harveyi, and Commiphora africana. Species used for fence poles include Dichrostachys cinerea. Species for both uses that were identified by farmers are found in Table 3.24.

"A Glimpse Into Maasai Circumcision Ritual " ????
I'm not real sure the threat of forced circumcision would be effective. I mean, the logistics of importing a tribe of Maasai every time someone misses the curve would be massive, not to mention the social outrage if the driver were female! However, the writer of the article describes it as an incredible experience. Perhaps National Geographic would offer a subsidy for film rights? If the front yard were large enough, the whole community could get involved!!!
Did we, perhaps, send the wrong link there, sparky? Mike
william_b_noble wrote:

"Gorse" looks like a formidable hedge. Or pyracantha. Lilacs are not thorny, but I think they'll grow thick enough to stop a car.
Bob
AlienZen wrote:

Yeah, you got a lot more hits on "bush" in the "white house" when Clinton was in office. :)
TIm
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

And now when you search for "plant" or "vegetation" and "white house" you keep getting hits for dubbya... ;)
--
be safe.
flip
***************************************** Don wrote:

On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

50 gallon oil drums, washed out, tops cut off, drain holes in the bottoms, painted, filled with soil, pretty flowers planted in the soil. They'll look nice and stop almost anything :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
An even prettier solution, with the same result...old whiskey barrels. While she doesn't have this particular problem, my mom's place has the barrels up on both sides of her driveway, half filled with gravel and then topped up with soil. In the summer, they're filled with Purple Wave petunias. In the winter in Cape Breton (especially this winter, with over three feet of snow in the yard), they have the added benefit of pointing out where the driveway is supposed to be.
I'm betting that someone would get hurt if they smucked into them though...probably through your local transportation department is the best way to fix this, just like everyone else says.
KD
(Don) wrote:

Hey Don,
Definitely check with the local road maintenance authority. Ask them to do something about it so that you won't ever have to sue if one of your children or grandchildren get killed now that they know about it. Do not try to put up your own guard rail as they are installed with some pretty strict design and guide lines. Doing it wrong and resulting in an injury could see you sued, sadly. Same with making a water-filled ditch. If a roll-over driver were to drown, you'd be in hot water <VBG>.
You could try a big sign that says "NUDIST CAMP AHEAD - WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS ALONG SHOULDER OF CURVE". That was a recent suggestion here on RCM a while back I think.
Or even a radar alert that sets off a rotating red bubble-gum light if it detects a speed over the recommended signage. Make them think they see a cop car ahead, but that might be expensive.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

It doesn't do a damn bit of good around here. I live on a relatively busy street with an intersection that has to stop, but not the cross-street. I have at least one car rolling into my yard per month. They don't bother to stop or look at the stop sign, they just roll around the corner and get plastered by someone coming down the road at 50mph. While there haven't been any fatalities in the past four years we've lived here, we've heard from neighbors that this is not a new problem and several people have died over the years. In fact, I found out that the RV parking that I have at that corner of the property used to be a garage until someone launched their car at it.
I've complained to the city many times. They ignore it. The same is true of other people along the street. No reaction for decades now.

I put up a sign on the stop sign for a while that read "We have 12-15 accidents on this corner per year due to negligent drivers. Please drive carefully". Someone ripped it down.
Brian Henderson wrote:

The county probably took it down. Illegal sign.
Seriously, Bob

Put a new sign up:
___ ___ Days since the last accident!
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:13:14 GMT, Brian Henderson

Have you complained in writing, pointing out the legal implications if they ignore your concerns? Have you tried the idea of ringning the emergency number every time? **************************************************** sorry
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?