Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^ |Yes, definitely, talk to the highway people. It is really THEIR problem to |solve, not yours. They have more and better facilities to deal with this, |and it someone wrecks a car against their barricade, you will in no way be |liable.

Just be aware that their idea of a solution may not meet your aesthetic criteria. You might be looking out your front door at some ugly barricade for the next several decades.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

|some highways, they have plastic containers filled with sand which are |placed in front of bridge piers and other things which would stop a car |instantly. When a car hits the containers, the sand goes flying and the car |gradually slows down. I'm sure they use a specific type of sand and may or |may not fill the containers to different heights???

Water-filled plastic barrels also are used Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

50 gallon oil drums, washed out, tops cut off, drain holes in the bottoms, painted, filled with soil, pretty flowers planted in the soil. They'll look nice and stop almost anything :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

|Put a sign up the road before the bend saying "Nudist Colony 1km". |Guaranteed to slow cars down, however, honking horns may become a problem.

"Watch for Nudists, next 1.5 miles" (appropriate sillouhette graphic) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Hey Don,

Definitely check with the local road maintenance authority. Ask them to do something about it so that you won't ever have to sue if one of your children or grandchildren get killed now that they know about it. Do not try to put up your own guard rail as they are installed with some pretty strict design and guide lines. Doing it wrong and resulting in an injury could see you sued, sadly. Same with making a water-filled ditch. If a roll-over driver were to drown, you'd be in hot water .

You could try a big sign that says "NUDIST CAMP AHEAD - WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS ALONG SHOULDER OF CURVE". That was a recent suggestion here on RCM a while back I think.

Or even a radar alert that sets off a rotating red bubble-gum light if it detects a speed over the recommended signage. Make them think they see a cop car ahead, but that might be expensive.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hey there, got an unusual question:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

An even prettier solution, with the same result...old whiskey barrels. While she doesn't have this particular problem, my mom's place has the barrels up on both sides of her driveway, half filled with gravel and then topped up with soil. In the summer, they're filled with Purple Wave petunias. In the winter in Cape Breton (especially this winter, with over three feet of snow in the yard), they have the added benefit of pointing out where the driveway is supposed to be.

I'm betting that someone would get hurt if they smucked into them though...probably through your local transportation department is the best way to fix this, just like everyone else says.

KD

Reply to
KD

If you're gonna do this, you might as well sell your house, and move away.

I say, put some BIG f**king boulders on yor property, inside your property line.

It's NOT an "attractive nuisance", any more than the concrete Jersey Barriers used as highway dividers.

Reply to
Anonymous

Outside of the road department, you could:

  1. Remove several feet of dirt from the ditch or edge of the yard and fill with sand. (Put soft drink machine on porch for those waiting for wrecker, per soda. Install internet access kiosk, slot machines.)
  2. Stack two layers of railroad ties on edge of property with dirt berm on the house side.
  3. Buy a wrecker, charge -5 to pull them out.
  4. Make a deal with a local wrecker to be the only approved wrecker, with a - 5 up charge. Charge storage fee of - 5 per hour for use of unapproved wrecker.

Be sure to post a sign with the rules and a "Moving this sign constitutes your agreement and acceptance of the policy and charges."

  1. Fabricate a big scary looking high pressure gas main/valve assembly out of wood and Sonotube with the requisite scary looking danger, imminent death signs.
  2. Put up Day Spa sign. charge 0 per hour to rub mud from ditch on them.
  3. Buy a gutted car of the same model as your local law enforcement, paint to match and put a strobe in the light bar. Park this in your yard, if folks don't slow down for that, the "police" car will stop them from sliding into your yard. You should be OK parking your movie props anywhere you want. For added protection put a for sale sign in the prop cop car window.

IIRC, there was this little town with a highway dividing it in two. The speed limit was too high for the townsfolk but the government entity would not lower it. The residents along the highway got together and built a bunch of brightly colored sculptures to place along the roadside. Cars slow down to get a better look at the sculptures.

Get trashed machine tools, line them up at the property line with sale signs, charge too much for the rusty stuff. Machine tools may not be much of an attention getter, but a few 2000 lb chucks of iron will impede the progress of any car. An old tractor may not be too much of an eyesore for yard decoration/protection. If it gets hit enough you may be able to restore it from the proceeds.

It's harder to stop them than charge them.

CROQ

Better make that an umm... shapely graphic. I sure wouldn't slow down at the thought of catching a glimpse of your "average" nudist.

I'm reading this in RCM, so the obvious answer is to build one of these

who won't slow down to look at a dinosaur made out of tractor parts deserves to crash into it. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

Call the cops every time it happens and get them to make a report, even if the offender is gone. Keep copies of these reports.

Take the copies of the reports to the commissioners/city council and ask for a speed bump be installed. When they don't, ask them what you can do. Document it and make it happen.

If it were my yard, I'd use Claymore mines....

Reply to
HeatMan

I was thinking about a section of fence inside the property line (right-of-way/easement/whatever.) Sections of telephone pole sunk deep in the ground at each end, a single 5/8" or 3/4" wire rope back and forth about 3 times between the poles so it looks like 3 strands of barbwire. Don't stretch the cable too tight, so when someone hits it it will have some "give" to it. Plant some sturdy bushes just inside it, and see if the county will put a barrier sign in front (alternating yellow and black diagonal bands.)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Park a D8 in front of the yard?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

| |>"Watch for Nudists, next 1.5 miles" |>(appropriate sillouhette graphic) |>Rex in Fort Worth | |Better make that an umm... shapely graphic. I sure wouldn't slow down |at the thought of catching a glimpse of your "average" nudist.

Yeah, don't want them covering their eyes ;)

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

1) Move

2) Get the county to install a guardrail

3) Big trees, preferably 50 year oaks

4) Lawyers

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

hope hes got a big front yard...

Reply to
Erik Litchy

That sounds like a plan, unless you can get somebody with a pile driver to sink about 6 concrete pillars for ya.

Make it narrow and as deep as you can stand it, you want to get the car to fall in, not just stop!. Maybe the local "news" of a car or two being stuck there for a day until they could be dug out by a dozer would get people to slow the hell down?

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Buy a few 100$ cars and park em where they will be hit and settle for

1K or so with or without the insurance company. An old friend of mine had cars in the bottom of his driveway just for that purpose and always had play money.
Reply to
Beecrofter

My pasture fence borders a state highway. A county road tee's into it on the opposite side. In a four month period, six vehicles ran the stop sign and ran through my fence. Some just cut a donut in the pasture and ran through the fence again on the way out. I had spent about $2000 repairing fence.

I'm gonna draw you a picture. A yard rake 20 feet wide with 8" tines 8 inches apart and 2 ten foot handles. All made of 1" rebar. I place this in the fence line with the tines horizontal and pointing out toward the road. With the handles against the inside of the wire, when the wire is pushed inward, the handles go horizontal and the tines go vertical.

They still tore up my fence but they didn't drive off. Then I tag them for the fence damage and make them pay to repair my water gap (hee,hee) they knocked down.

I finally got the state to place a double caution arrow there but I placed the mountain of dirt from the septic tank (three 1000 gal tanks) hole just inside the fence as backup.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

How about a moat?

-J

Reply to
Jack

Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might be more costly than you think.

Reply to
Tony