Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Page 2 of 5

zxcvbob wrote:

Not a bad idea. I would ensure that the fence is on your property and check with the local building inspector to determine if any permit or variance was required to erect that type of fence. As long as it is legal, you should be OK.
Anyone who subsequently trespasses on your property and damages your yard art / fence will have some explaining to do.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Agreed!
When you cross a property line, the property owner is absolved from any liability. With the exception of them booby trapping the ptoperty. Which opens the door for liabilaty and criminal prosecution.
Refinish King

Personally:
I like log fencing, there is no law that says I can't reinforce it with 1.5" rebar either!
It's my fence, if they are driving at an unsafe speed and are risking a catastrophe. I am not liable.
Screw em, let them pay higher insurance premiums, and let my children be safe and my grand children have a mother around while I'm alive!
Refinish King

Do not tamper with anything on the public road, or cause any condition for property damage or injury to the offenders. You should go to the municipal department for your area, and have this properly dealt with. Take some photos as evidence to this concern. I am sure that they would have a legal solution for you. If not, you can make a case, and ask for a public hearing in the municipal court for your county. Just make sure you have convincing evidence.
Putting up a proper barrier with the proper warning signs would be more appropriate. The barrier and any signs would have to be made to be visible both night and day. I am assuming from what you said, that there are signs. Maybe you can convince the city to put up a stop sign near the curve, with a warning sign about 500 feet before the curve. You will then have to put up with the noise of the cars and trucks stopping and starting near to your home, if they do this.
In the mid 50's, my parents had this type of problem, but in the city. We had some streets where there were no stop signs, and people and cyclists were having frequent accidents from cars. My father took photos, and kept records. After about a year, he made a public case. Within an hour he had the judgment passed. They had to make proper crossings, and put stop signs on every corner in the area. Everything was done within the next month after.
--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
Start by asking the town/county/state (whoever maintains the road) for a guardrail and/or rumble strips based on the history of cars sliding off there. If they put a guardrail up, you don't have the liability issues that Walt already mentioned. A guardrail you put up could get very expensive. A berm (small hill) might be good. Either with hauled in dirt/sand, or by widening ditch, and piling the removed dirt beside it. Don't use big rocks. Widening the ditch is probably more effective (and safer) than deepening it much - will give the bog effect Walt mentioned. Consider planting it with some durable brush, if that doesn't screw up your conception of what the yard looks like - the brush will provide some additional resistance to the cars coming through, and will also make the corner more noticable, so they might slow down more.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

The church tried a wooden fence, but the cars went right through it. Then they put up a steel guardrail, and the cars smashed that all up. Eventually, they took out the guardrail, and put in a large mound of melon-sized rough stone. End of problem.

With that in mind, a good solution for Tiredofthis might be some huge but decorative boulders spaced about 5 feet apart on his lawn well inside the right of way fronting the ditch. Nothing mountainous, tho. Maybe something in a good rugged limestone about good 3 or so feet high. That ought to provide disincentive enough for even an SUV, and would probably cost no more and be a million times more rugged and effective than anything Tiredofthis could DIY himself.
Hey, who's the world to argue with a man's personal choice of yard decoration?
AJS
The last house I owned we had the same problem 9 out of 10 drivers just left, leaving me a mess. The few that couldn't leave were so drunk the just looked up. One lady had a car that most have been 2 weeks old. I went to talk to her and she drove off with sticks and grass jammed in her tires. It was a real pain. The town made the mess when they redid the road but would do nothing to fix it. There was a fruit tree there and the bees made a very big nest in it, I just left them be, a few drivers that got out to look got stung but that didn't help my problem.

In this sort of case, a camera with appropriate sensor (or if you're home, simply eyeballing the license plate) followed by running the plate number with a charge of leaving the scene of an accident, plus the damages, etc. might be of some use.

Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might be more costly than you think.
"Wayne" <makowicki>

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap. A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a convenient place triggered to go off several times.

None of that solves his problem of people plowing up his yard however, and no future wrecker of his property is going to be dissuaded because of a prosecution that he's never heard of.
The solution is to prevent the people from ever driving on his yard in the first place. I like the big boulders on your side of the property line idea. Big pine trees may work as well.

I don't understand why whatever entity belongs to this road, they won't install a proper guardrail when one is obviously sorely lacking.

Because there is no serious risk to life. Entities of this sort tend to only act when there is a real threat to life. They generally don't have enough budget to install barriers everywhere people might like them.
Once upon a time, highway signs, lighting, etc. were designed so that no car could damage them by running into them. Cars hit these things head-on and people died.
Modern highway design makes these things so they will "break away" should a car hit them. The thinking is that a life is more important than material things.
With that said, I would *not* place anything in the path of the cars which would make them stop instantly such as boulders. concrete barrier, etc. On some highways, they have plastic containers filled with sand which are placed in front of bridge piers and other things which would stop a car instantly. When a car hits the containers, the sand goes flying and the car gradually slows down. I'm sure they use a specific type of sand and may or may not fill the containers to different heights???
Also some "run-away" ramps (for when breaks fail on downgrades) use deep sand to slow vehicles down. The tires sink into the sand. I don't know how deep the sand goes or what type of sand they use, but I assure you the government has probably conducted numerous tests to find the best depth and best sand to use.
I have seen some private barbed wire fences on curves where the land owner tied white plastic strips onto the fence every 4 inches or so. This makes the curve more visible at night.
In any case, I would consult with a state or county highway department engineer before doing anything. They would be able to give you safe solutions to this problem and might fix the problem for you. If you could take pictures of the approach (from both directions), curve, your yard, etc. and meet with an engineer in person, you might get better results and answers than just a phone call...
|some highways, they have plastic containers filled with sand which are |placed in front of bridge piers and other things which would stop a car |instantly. When a car hits the containers, the sand goes flying and the car |gradually slows down. I'm sure they use a specific type of sand and may or |may not fill the containers to different heights???
Water-filled plastic barrels also are used Rex in Fort Worth
If you're gonna do this, you might as well sell your house, and move away.
I say, put some BIG f**king boulders on yor property, inside your property line.
It's NOT an "attractive nuisance", any more than the concrete Jersey Barriers used as highway dividers.
wrote:

<rj>
How about a moat?
-J
What about planting Kudzu, the vines would stop the car and by morning you wouldn't even see it.....I can send you some....
Tony...

Put a sign up the road before the bend saying "Nudist Colony 1km". Guaranteed to slow cars down, however, honking horns may become a problem.