Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Page 1 of 5
Hey there, got an unusual question:
I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve. Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end of my driveway.
ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to but on my side of the ditch.
Any help woould be greatly appreciated!
To avoid lawsuits do not place any rocks or structure that will stop them. You can how ever make a boggy area that will stop them the same way some of the 1/4 mile race tracks use at the end of the track in case someone overshoots. The best part is they will need a tow truck to get out and you will be able to go after them for any damages.Sweet revenge without guns, just mud !

Do they have any right to tow off your land without your permission? Can you dismantle the car, and sell it for parts?
That would be illeagle dismantling:
In other words: "Theft"
But, he could be nasty and make them get a court order to remove the car from his property!
LOL
Good suggestion, I like your sense of humor! Refinish King
wrote:

them.
of
you
guns,
If someone crosses his property line:
Due to wrecklessness or negligence. ie Driving too fast for road conditions. They can't sue him for their damages if he put up a stone hedge.
Did you take law lessons from Saddam Huesseim or Mommar Quadaffi?
Refinish King

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

This is not a DIY project mainly because anything you do short of a major project costing several hundred or a thousand or two won't be solid enough to stop a speeding car or could be against a zoning/building regulation, resulting in the county forcing you to remove it and/or fine you.
Rather, it's a public safety hazard that should be dealt with by your local government -- preferably by installing a guardrail or a cement barrier similar to the ones they put in medians on the highway or in front of federal government offices to help prevent terrorist drive-ups. Contact your county highway/road department or your representative on the county board (also called county commission in some areas).
AJS
I think you have the right idea. Deepen the ditch and then they can ROLL across it into your front porch -- if going fast enough. However, it will probably stop those who aren't speeding toooo fast. Be careful of tampering with anything within the right of way.
You could add a guard rail. Make it LOOK strong enough to demolish the entire car if they hit it. This way they can see it when the road is dry and IMAGINE what will happen if they slide into it. HOWEVER, I'd make it "breakable" so they don't get killed when they hit. . . . Kind of like the highway barriers. Colors: Black & Yellow - alternating!
Talk with the city, county or state that maintains that part of the road and ask if you can BORROW some highway barriers to put up.
Plant trees or thorny bushes along that area.
BE SURE TO KEEP ANYTHING WELL ON YOUR SIDE OF THE RIGHT OF WAY!
* * * * Above all, document costs, get license numbers (tag & drivers) and force several of them to pay -- plenty. * * * * The court publicity will help deter others -- maybe! HIRE the work done and DON'T TAKE THE LOW BIDDER. :-)
Talk to the folks at some cemetery and see if they'll give you some of the flowers they take up off the graves periodically. Take these flowers and put them in a place or two near this curve to make it appear someone has already gotten killed there! ;-) I'm sure you've seen this done along the highway were someone has gotten killed.
Just a few ideas of my own. You may want to check with an attorney before doing any of the above. In this screwed up system a burglar can walk onto your property at night, intending to steal all you have, step into a hole the dog dug in the yard and then sue you and/or your home owner's insurance company for damages to his broken leg, etc. -- AND COLLECT!
================= Don wrote:

This reminds me of an infamous S-curve that was in my neighborhood when I was growing up. The state put up a huge-ass sign along side the curve with a skull and crossbones on it, and beneath that was painted "Slow Down XX Didn't" -- with XX being the current death toll. It was a local landmark for decades and about the only thing it was good for was to give the sign painter more work putting up a new body count every few months.
AJS
"Al Patrick" (clip) Talk with the city, county or state that maintains that part of the road

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, definitely, talk to the highway people. It is really THEIR problem to solve, not yours. They have more and better facilities to deal with this, and it someone wrecks a car against their barricade, you will in no way be liable.
Another suggestion (this one amuses me), would be to put in a row of hay bales. Actually, hay bales with ivy growing over them might be sort of attractive.
|^^^^^^^^^^^^ |Yes, definitely, talk to the highway people. It is really THEIR problem to |solve, not yours. They have more and better facilities to deal with this, |and it someone wrecks a car against their barricade, you will in no way be |liable.
Just be aware that their idea of a solution may not meet your aesthetic criteria. You might be looking out your front door at some ugly barricade for the next several decades.
Rex in Fort Worth
In article

Try planting blackberries instead. Pretty flowers in the spring, tasty berries and thorns to shread flesh.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

In the town I grew up in, one guy had a similar problem with cars failing to make a curve at the end of a high-speed stretch of road, and ending up in his back yard.
He placed some seven to ten-foot tall boulders in the path.
Problem is, in today's litigous society, anything you place in the possible path of a car just might make you libel for injuries that might not have occured if the obstacle was not there, and the person's car simply came to a stop in your yard with no man-made obstacles placed in their path - especially since there is a history/precedent of people walking away uninjured from forays into your front yard prior to you setting up any barriers, etc.
We've all read about burglars suing homeowners for unsafe conditions causing injury while they were attempting to commit a crime. There are lawyers who are willing to launch just about any sort of lawsuit - frivolous or not.
I would lobby the local government for some sort of guardrail, or government-placed barrier - which should absolve you of any responsibility.
I also think a visit to your lawyer to determine what you can do without placing yourself in jeopardy might be a good first step. Get his opinion in writing, if you can.
\>

I live in a suburban area. Speed limits are generally 25 mph here. For years during wet weather, inattentive drivers would speed down a nearby hill and slide across an intersection, occasionally making contact with a house.
The problem was resolved by installing two rebar reinforced cement core columns, with brick facing, just inside the property line. Each column is about 2.5 feet square. In the last decade, about half a dozen cars have jumped the curb and impacted one of the columns. In each case, the driver was cited for careless driving and required to pay for repairs to the column, landscaping and curbs.
A couple of lawyers attempted to push liability onto the home owner and were laughed out of court. One judge told a lawyer that unless a column fell over the property line, unassisted, and landed on someone, liability was just not an issue.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Beware! That sort of attitude varys widely (if not wildly) by state -- in California if you spill hot coffie on your crotch then Starbucks is responsible, even if you brewed it at home. In Kansas they laugh you out of the courthouse.
What about hospitals and many commercial properties:
Heaven forbid you make the mistake of trying to back up into a parking lane to get a spot, POP, Pop, and if you're stupid enough! Pop, Pop. Now you need four new tires!
Is that hospital or commercial property owner liable?
Please answer that for me?
Thank you,
Refinish King

of
Refinish King wrote:

Pop Pop from what? Spikes to keep you from entering or backing up an exit ramp? I've never seen spikes like that in a *parking space*.
Bob
Not a parking space:
But in North East Pa. a famous hospital, Geisinger. Is always reconfiguring their parking lots, and seperating one from the other. They have many!
But there are spikes all over, they reconfigure, and forget to lock the spikes, they say oops, sorry to people. I'm smart enough to let someone stand on them to get into the second part of the lot.
Plus, parking is free. I don't stiff institutions, whether commercial or non profit for parking fees!
Refinish King

lane
need
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:26:50 -0500, "Refinish King"
......and in reply I say!:

Oh nice!
Aaaargh! ("Well...won't park there then...")
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?
The Guy wrote:

I was thinking about a section of fence inside the property line (right-of-way/easement/whatever.) Sections of telephone pole sunk deep in the ground at each end, a single 5/8" or 3/4" wire rope back and forth about 3 times between the poles so it looks like 3 strands of barbwire. Don't stretch the cable too tight, so when someone hits it it will have some "give" to it. Plant some sturdy bushes just inside it, and see if the county will put a barrier sign in front (alternating yellow and black diagonal bands.)
-Bob