Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

Page 7 of 9
Davoud:

Danny D.:

But if you buy a name brand, be it Apple or Dell or whatever, you will get a product that was designed by the seller's engineers and that is manufactured under the seller's eye. Can there still be problems? Sure, but the odds are much better that you will get a safe, quality product. The off-brand products tend to be made in little sweatshops, people's kitchens, wherever, without the benefit of engineering knowledge or QC.
you will say in your entire life.

not only that, but with a name brand, you get a company to go to if something does go wrong.
with a noname brand, you're screwed, and the magnitude of the problems are bigger. see my other post for just how shitty a noname charger can actually be.

In the UK (and Europe in the main) your claim if something doesn't work or isn't to specification is against the seller. You have no rights against the manufacturer unless you bought it direct from them (though in some cases they *may* offer service). Thus it doesn't matter at all if something is branded or not, you still have a claim against the seller.
--
Chris Green
·

that just changes who remedies the situation. it doesn't avoid the failure.
the best way to avoid a failure is by buying quality parts. if you buy noname crap, the chances of a failure are quite a bit higher.
nospam wrote, on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:38:00 -0500:

After a few days of testing, I'm positive it was a bad cable. I'll return it to the store.

I still disagree here about this.:)
IME, you are better to buy from somewhere that has great service, than a great brand. Things fail. Great service will fix/replace them. Manufacturers/"brands" won't care. :)
Bruce Sinclair wrote:

You mean Apple won't care if you buy a stuff from Apple store? Thunderbolt cable is very, tiny if pumping 6 Amp. of current non-stop it'll charge battery for sure but because El cheapo one is just a power supply without smartness there is no tapering back of current when battery is nearing fully charged causing over heat and even melt the tiny stranded wires in the cable. 6 Amp is quite a current. iPAD is not a cheap device, my family only uses Apple charger came with iPAD.

they'd obviously prefer if you do but there's no requirement to do so.

thunderbolt cables do not pump 6 amps. they're mainly used for displays and hard drives, the latter of which might draw 1 amp at the *most* and only for spin-up.

ipads are comparable in price with competing tablets.

To be fair, I wouldn't use an iAnything. I was an apple convert (in the II+ era), Apple lost their way for me around the first mac. While they are now a triumph of marketing, they now have nothing I want. :)
I prefer my smartness in people, not in things. :) :)
Bruce Sinclair wrote:

Actually anything to do charger you're saying? Even your laptop battery charger has some smartness in it.

no it doesn't.
the smartness is in the lithium battery itself (it has to be) as well as the host device (laptop, phone, etc.)
nospam wrote:

all lithium battery packs have protection circuitry and the charger is in the laptop itself, just like i said.
in other words, you're wrong.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Have ever gone to a police station and taken a look at their Walkie Talkie charging rack? Like wise, how about telephone exchange plant?
Tony Hwang wrote:

The charger for an iPad or laptop has smarts to power the device. They provide the right voltage and current for the device.
Profiles for charging the batteries are in the device.

chargers for ipads or laptops just provide power. there are no smarts in them.
the smarts are in the ipad or laptop *and* the battery.
nospam wrote, on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:11:12 -0500:

That's not true.
At least it's not true for the charger depicted in this thread.
So, it's only the Apple chargers (and similar) that you're talking about, and, for them, you're right.

it absolutely is true.

it's *very* true for the charger in this thread, which is nothing more than a 5vdc power supply over usb.

wrong.
all usb power adapters/chargers are nothing more than 5vdc power supplies, including apple. every single one.
nospam wrote, on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:16:48 -0500:

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong? Let's just prove it so we can both learn something new.
All I'm doing is reading what the charger package says. It says it's a "smart" charger that "automatically adjusts" the power output.
Here's what it says on the package: "Smart USB Technology: This adapter automatically adjusts power output to fit your charging device. Tablets and e-readers require 2 Amp charging, and this adapter will reroute power to the appropriate USB port you use. Charging Combinations: - 2 tablets + 3 mobile devices - 1 tablet + 4 mobile devices - 5 mobile devices - 3 tablets"
Here's what it says on the web: https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/hype-volt/smart-adapter "Adjusting the power output for up to 5 different pieces of technology, it's easy to see why the Smart Adapter got its name."
Here is how Walmart describes it: walmart.ca/en/ip/hype-volt-68a-wall-adapter-with-5-usb-ports/6000193376994 "Charge up to 5 devices in one place. The adapter will automatically adjust power output to fit your devices needs."
Since the adapter "automatically adjusts power output", how do you reconcile that fact with then saying it's not a smart charger?
Maybe I'm misinterpreting something you said, because that "sounds" like a smart charger to me. Why doesn't it seem like a smart charger to you? What am I missing that you know, but haven't said to me yet?

no maybe about it.

it adjusts it based on how much the device draws.
all usb devices start off with 100ma and request additional power.
there is no eoc detection in the charger. that's in the device itself (and sometimes the battery).