Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

Page 4 of 9
Ralph Mowery wrote, on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:49:32 -0500:

Virtually everything like this is made in China.
trader_4 wrote, on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 08:27:32 -0800:

The cable was what was bad.
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 16:13:58 -0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

Natch. But did you buy precision USB chargers :-) ? Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp wrote, on Thu, 03 Dec 2015 23:37:01 -0500:

I get your point.
Most here think the difference between 34watts and 40 watts is in the noise level.
My argument that it isn't is that you're *paying* only for watts (there's nothing else they can change since it has to be 5 volts!).
Another argument is that they never seem to make the mistake in the opposite direction (calling it a 29Watt device instead of 34).
But, in the end, you guys seem to think the 5 watt difference isn't meaningful. I hear you. I understand you.
I just disagree but we can leave it at that as I understand that you feel a 5 watt error is within the standard noise level.

it doesn't actually matter.

the maximum wattage only comes into play if you use *all* ports, which you won't be.
what matters is the capabilities of each port, which should be about 10-12w.
the difference in wattage is also not the cause of the cable failure.
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:35:19 -0500:

This isn't even close to true based on the description of the part on the package and on the web.
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/hype-volt/smart-adapter

it's hard to read with that popup in the middle and no way to clear it without an email address, but i didn't see anything that contradicts what i said underneath, other than a nifty typo.
the point is that no single port is going to source 6.8a. fill all five ports with 1a devices and it'll be fine. if one of the five is a tablet that draws 2a, it'll still be fine. if the *total* goes past 6.8a, then not so fine.
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:33:02 -0500:

Sorry about that stupid popup.
If you google for "HC363-5U" you find the exact same part branded by a different company with the EXACT same description EXCEPT that it's correctly listed as a 35Watt device and not a 40W device.
$15 (Amazon.com product link shortened)
$60 (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Hausbell 35W HC363-5U UL Certified (UL No:E310745) Family-Sized USB Wall Charger Plug Smart Charger, Single USB Output 2.4A Max,Output total 6.8A Max, 5P-USB Output for Apple and Android Smartphones,Tablets and More(White)
Hausbell® HC363-5U:Products comply with the United States and national security certification.
product parameters MODEL:Hausbell® HC363-5U INPUT:100-240V 50/60Hz 800mA Max Output:total 6800mA Max Super Charger:5V-2400mA Max Universal:5V-1000mA Max size:8.9×7.3×3.3cm
characteristics Hausbell USB smart charger, using multiple USB output, more convenient a few products charging at the same time, can solve the charging trouble of every family.
Hausbell® HC363-5U ideal for international travel,100-240 volt input,5 USB output:total 6800mA Max.,unibody design,size:8.9 ×7.3×3.3cm, Industrial-grade materials and premium circuitry ensure lifetime reliability.
Description Hausbell® HC363-5U, which possess USB smart charger products and adopt the most advanced smart management chip under international brands, can identify automatically the device and provide corresponding rated charging current.
Automatic identification technology provide a solution to different Consumer electronic products, which can not compatible under different brands.It is the latest research of science and technology the newest research technology in charger industry. Every family can benefit from it.
Smart chips can automatically identify the required current of charged devices according to their brands or types and achieve quickly chargeable. Hausbell USB smart charger, using multiple USB output, more convenient a few products charging at the same time, can solve the charging trouble of every family.

it's not your fault. lots of web sites do that.

that means it's a generic device that gets rebranded, which usually means it's cheap crap.

two different sellers with different prices. so what?

1 super charger port rated up to 2.4a, leaving 4.4a for the remaining four ports (if you assume the 6.8a is correct), except those four ports are rated up to 1a (not 1.1a), for a total of 6.4a (not 6.8a), or 32w.
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:56:21 -0500:

32 Watts is even worse then, for the 40 watt claims.
The UL test report doesn't look right though. http://umbraco-ljprodukter.utv2.toxicdev.se/media/11026/LPS%20UL%2060W.pdf
On 05/12/2015 03:20, Danny D. wrote:

So typical of the Chinese not to pay for their copy for Fineprint pdffactory!
You think they'd care about making sure every figure in the spec is exactly right?
No.
--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:56:21 -0500:

I found a way around that stupid Facebook popup!
1. Visit that page in Firefox: https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/hype-volt/smart-adapter
2. Notice the unremovable popup to create a Facebook account or log in.
https://i.imgur.com/jV63Aaf.jpg
3. Type "about:config" into the URL field of Firefox: Then type "javascript.enabled".
Toggle from: javascript.enabled;true Toggle to: javascript.enabled;false
4. Press the reload button in Firefox. Voila!

a much easier solution is simply click the close box.
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 22:39:05 -0500:

There isn't any way to close it by clicking. At least not in Firefox. I've tested this with others and they agree.

every browser window has a close box, including firefox. one click and the page (not the popup) is gone.
any website that makes things difficult to read is not worth bothering with. there are zillions of other sites from companies that treat users with respect, along with products that don't have discrepancies in their specs.
nospam wrote, on Sat, 05 Dec 2015 07:16:50 -0500:

In this case, I showed how to turn off javascript so that /you/ could see the site so that I would answer /your/ questions.
Anyway, it's pretty clear that it's a lie by now. I'm trying to find out how to send that by mail to consumers union.
Does anyone have a valid complaint mail for consumer's union?

Well said !
nospam wrote, on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 22:39:05 -0500:

That won't work if what I was showing you was the text of the web page (which, let's remember, was why).

Precision is what you pay for in a resistor. A lot. :)
On 07/12/2015 00:20, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

1% tolerance resistors are dirt cheap nowadays.
The last 0.1% ones didn't cost that much either.
--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).