Advice Sought on Installation of Heavy Marble Fountain

I have bought a large marble wall fountain that will go toward the back of a raised planter. It weighs some 800 pounds + water and will need a foundation. Here is my thought: dig out the approximately two feet of topsoil to get to the original grade. Lay down about 3-4 inches of coarse gravel for drainage. Build two or three dry stack cinder block foundation columns, making sure the tops are level and aligned with each other. Back fill in the dirt. Place the fountain basin (dimensions about 4 feet x 3 feet) on top. Add back wall and other pieces to back.

The back wall of the fountain should stay in place by sheer weight, but there are three elements that will requires some kind of adhesive. What kind of mortar or adhesive should one use for marble? It nees to blend in with a creamy yellow marble.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

--Don

Reply to
DHD

If you are going to experience a freeze/thaw cycle, I would go deeper. In the midwest (northern Illinois) I did my fountain (about

300 lbs) without concrete over just sand and gravel in a 36 inch deep hole. After the first winter I had to re-level it, but since then it has settled and remains level for 8 years running. Liquid Nails makes a marble and granite adhesive, but I would probably opt for their "Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive". I have used that one outdoors for retaining walls and know for a fact that it holds up well through all seasons. I cant vouch that their dedicated marble adhesive is ok for freezing weather or if it is mainly an indoor product. Whaever you do, make sure it will be easy to re-level it when you need to (IOW dont cement it down).
Reply to
RickH

Thinset with lots of polymer additives such as Mapei makes.Make sure it's labeled for use with light marble. Typically this is a white thinset. Marble is porous and ordinary gray cementitious products will bleed into it and discolor it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch