Advice requested to unclog a shower stall (75 or 100 foot snake?)

Page 2 of 4
On 5/23/2013 11:03 AM, Danny D wrote:

and flush it on down. Have to do it with our shower every 2-3 years.
Paul
On 5/23/2013 3:41 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Or use a Zip-It tool. A package of two can be picked up for about $2.50 and they can be reused several times. Just push it down the drain into the trap, then pull it out. The hair and gunk clogging the trap get caught on the tool's reverse teeth and are pulled out with the tool. Quick and easy.

+1
On Thu, 23 May 2013 16:00:36 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That would have been a wonderful idea had I thought of it.
In hindsight, do you think I perhaps could have used my 65 foot steel electrical-wire fishtape?

On 5/24/2013 10:44 AM, Danny D wrote:

no. they're smooth by design. you want something with hooks on it.
On Thu, 23 May 2013 13:41:01 -0700, Paul Drahn wrote:

As you surmised, it was a clump of long brunette hair!

I plunged for a half hour, to no effect (other than to bring up some horrid black goop from God knows where)...

The black goo is usually the oily residue from conditioner.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 21:32:11 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

Now that's interesting. It was black, but didn't smell bad. It washed off my hands easily. Conditioner makes sense.
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:03:38 PM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:

edroom, so I pulled my old BrassCraft Cable Drum Machine BC-400 out of stor age - but it is in sad shape (long story): http://www3.picturepush.com/phot o/a/13138261/img/13138261.jpg The current cable is apparently 3/8" x 75 fee t with an aircraft wire core running through the center. http://www2.pictur epush.com/photo/a/13138185/img/13138185.jpg Even my hand snake is in bad sh ape (probably left outside): http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/13138195/i mg/13138195.jpg So, it looks like I'm in need of a snake to unclog a shower stall. For the BC400, I'm wondering if a 100 foot cable replacement would be better than a 75 foot cable; but I don't even know if it will fit. I cal led BrassCraft at 877-272-7755 who said to call Cobra at 800-835-2200 and I left a couple of messages earlier today, but they haven't responded. It's not a big deal, but, if you have experience with either unclogging a shower or with fitting replacing 75 foot or 100 foot cable snakes, I'd appreciate the advice.
Find someone that know's what they are doing.
On Thu, 23 May 2013 14:03:01 -0700, jamesgang wrote:

Well, I learned that both snakes I bought fail for different reasons, so now I know two things I had not known before.
The 25 foot 1/4 inch snake wouldn't go more than about 10 feet, which, I think, was because it was too thin.
The 50 foot 3/8 inch snake wouldn't go more than about 3 feet, which, I think, was because it was too thick.
BTW, how do you *coil up* those 50 feet snakes when you're all done with them?

Very carefully<g>.

Didn't it come with a reel ? If not just go and buy a reel that will hold it
On Fri, 24 May 2013 21:33:22 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

Nope. It was tie wrapped (which is what I'm going to do with it right now, as my 'main' snake will be the one in the drum.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 00:15:34 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Luckily there was no "plunger assembly" in the shower stall.
However, I did clean out the sink plunger, by unscrewing the cap and removing clumps of brown hair with a screwdriver.
In belched:

Dude, you have more issues than Carter has liver pills. WTF? Get a closet snake. take the drain cover off and snake to the main drain, which a 6' closet snake will do
On Thu, 23 May 2013 16:33:45 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

I'm not sure where or what a closet snake is.
Do you mean this type (with the drill attachment)?

The problem with that 25 foot 1/4 inch snake was that it wouldn't go past the length you see there (about 10 feet) into the drain.
I don't know what stopped it, but even after trying for 15 minutes, I couldn't get it to go any deeper than 10 feet.
Would someone with more experience than I kindly explain *why* that thin snake wouldn't go more than 10 feet down a shower drain pipe?
In belched:

Damn, son. If you don't know , maybe you shouldn't be doing the repairs that your doin http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/sbs_toilet_clog_6.htm
On Fri, 24 May 2013 13:43:07 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

Well, if I didn't do it, she'd have to hire a plumber, and that would cost her a hundred bucks she doesn't have.
I *do* wish I had known about the closet auger idea though ...
I saw those closet augers at Ace Hardware when I asked the guys in the red shirts what I should buy (although I didn't know what they were called at the time).
The Ace guys suggested the longer 25 foot and 50 foot snakes for the shower, saying that the closet auger was only for toilet bowls.
If they had suggested the 3-foot auger, I would have bought it because it was a lot cheaper (IIRC) and I have the 75'foot snake on order from Cobra so I didn't need yet another snake to rust in my garage.
Too bad. I wish I had known what you suggest for the shower. At this point, it's a lesson learned for the future.

They don't rust.
--
Dan Espen

On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:35:31 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I don't understand. Mine are as rusty as can be.

I'm thinking of oiling them - but maybe there's a better way?