Advice requested for the repair of 3 of 4 ceiling fans (perhaps remote controlled?)

Page 2 of 3
On 7/29/2013 8:19 AM, Danny D. wrote:

ceiling, has to be dropped entirely, to access the remote receiver. All the other fans, you only have to drop the canopy off of the ceiling to get to it. The one large ceiling hugger would need to have the blades removed before the canopy will come down.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:57:58 -0400, RBM wrote:

Oh. I see. And that happens to be the hardest fan of all to access. Do you think the "universal" Emerson remote will work on the Casablanca?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/9390285779_e29ff2c342_b.jpg

This is good to know! Thanks. I was wholly unaware of this until this thread.

Interesting. Good to know that's a pre-requisite step. This is the least important fan so it will likely be fixed last.
On 7/29/2013 8:19 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Some fans will have a built in remote receiver, which is part of the circuit board inside the large body (motor) of the fan. I think in your case, you are looking for "universal" remote receivers, which reside under the ceiling canopy
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:36:42 -0400, RBM wrote:

Is this blue DIP switch the settings you speak of?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7437/9390413913_6c7b1ecb8f_o.gif
I wonder how many in-series switches there are for any one fan? a) The remote on/off switch b) The wall (possibly three-way) on/off switch c) The fan chain on/off switch
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:05:29 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, Wow. You're a saint. That looks exactly like the one I have.
The most important non-operating fan is the high one in the foyer. Luckily, the high foyer fan and the working fan appear to be in the original section of the house, and they appear to be of similar construction - so - I'm going to assume they work the same.
Unfortunately, this one working fan is still in a very tall location (I'm going to guess 15 to 18 feet) on a center beam of the original house - so - it's still up there (compared to the other two non-working fans which I think are in a remodel or additional construction area of the house).
Neither of the two original fans are accessible through a stepladder of any decent size (mine is about 10 feet tall), but I *might* be able to get an extension ladder on the 8 inches or so of center beam shown in this picture:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2881/9393040692_36ba734fc0_o.gif
On 7/29/2013 11:57 AM, Danny D. wrote:

the bottom of the ladder quite well.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:05:52 -0700, Oren wrote:

It *seems* to be the center beam for the entire house, so, I'm going to assume it's sturdy; but I did recognize the inherent danger.
The problem is that it's the most important fan, because (a) it's the only one working, and (b) it looks similar to the main fan in the tall foyer.
But, I think PLAN A will simply be to try all permutations and combinations of the remote DIP switch + the fan pull switch + any wall switches to see if I can jump start the fan high up in the tall foyer.
That's the only one that really matters anyway, as the other two non-working ones are in areas of much less concern.
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 15:27:46 -0700, Oren wrote:

Ooops. My fault. I'm still getting used to this new photo-sharing flickr account. Here is the picture I *meant* to provide, which shows one of the fans 25 feet up in the air, and just out of arms reach from the stairs.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/9210688634_95387e15df_o.jpg
The biggest problem is HOW to access a fan 25 feet up in the air? I have a 28 foot extension ladder but it has nothing to lean against.
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:55:08 AM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:

Many years ago I once tied ropes to a handrail on a mezzanine and the top of an extension ladder, braced the bottom of the ladder to lean it away to reach and remove a large chandelier. I had another rope holding up the chandelier while I disconnected one of the links in the chain where I lowered it using the rope once I came down and removed the ladder.
On 7/28/2013 12:55 PM, Danny D. wrote:

When I had to get to a fan like that to repair it for a customer, I rented a "Trestle Ladders", it's like a step ladder with an extension ladder coming out the top. Rent instead of buy unless you is rich. ^_^
http://www.industrialladder.com/productDetails.do ;jsessionid19A761905DDF25CE92000A94A98E29?productID'90&categoryID3
https://tinyurl.com/mbgnbmv
TDD
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:16:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the Trestle Ladder. I had never seen one of those before.
I had known about the "Orchard" or "Tripod" ladders: http://www.industrialladder.com/productDetails.do?productID '92 But, they only go up to about 12 feet.
It seems the Trestle ladder goes to 26 feet.
I haven't actually measured the distance, but, I've eyeballed it to something around 20 to 25 feet or so (it's two tall ceilings high).
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/9390182889_171b2c13d5_o.gif
On 7/29/2013 6:22 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I had to repair a ceiling fan in the foyer of an apartment building and the fan was way up there. The only way to get to it was a trestle ladder and I learned about them when I went searching for a way to reach the fan. It was 1987 B.I., Before Internet so I had to go around to rental places and talk to the knowledgeable guys there. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:53:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

This is also in a foyer. So, that's why it's probably even more than 2 ceilings high, as it's at roof level, so that's about 25 feet or so (I think).
I'm not sure how to measure, but, I can drop a string from the balcony to measure from the balcony down. And then, I guess, I can stick a pipe up from the balcony to measure from the balcony up.
Will report back on the height. Will also call rentals to see if any carry the Trestle ladder.
On 7/29/2013 7:34 AM, Danny D. wrote:

All I can tell you about working that high is to have an adult spotter at the bottom of the ladder, preferably someone who is strong enough to steady the ladder if you make any kind of move that might cause you to lose your balance. He/she/it doesn't have to be The Amazing Hulk, just someone strong enough to assist you with transporting and setting up the ladder. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 11:07:50 -0700, Oren wrote:

Nor ever will we be!
I think I'll first tackle the other non-working ceiling fans that are mounted on lower ceilings.
The key question I ask is whether there is a "universal" remote control for fans, which I can test out to see if the fans respond?
On 7/29/2013 6:34 AM, Danny D. wrote:

work with a Casablanca W-52 receiver, but even if it does, you have to set the transmitter dip switches to match the receiver dip switches. Since you have one working fan, why don't you drop one of the lower fans, get to the W-52 receiver and see how the switches are set. Then open your current transmitter and set those switches the same, then see if it works. It may be that you only need to buy new transmitters
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:10:55 -0400, RBM wrote:

This makes a lot of sense.
I will try that on a fan that is on a normal 10 foot ceiling and report back.
This happens to be an easy fan to access. Does it also look like that Casablanca?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/9393218370_2568a83f47_o.gif
I have one other style fan, but, someone is sleeping in that room, so, I have to wait 'till morning to snap a photo of it for you to look at.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:31:43 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

They woke up:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2835/9390863279_b710acd64f_o.gif
Does this look like a remote controlled fan also? I can't get the fan blades to operate automatically.
This fan happens to be the lowest of them all so it's the easiest to access.
On 7/29/2013 9:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:

have either a built in remote control receiver, or a retro-fitted one, which is likely if there isn't any wall control for them. On non Casablanca fans, you need to drop the canopy to access whatever remote receiver is in there. It will be an obvious little plastic box with 5 or 6 wires and an antenna coming out of it.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:47:09 -0400, RBM wrote:

Thanks again for the advice of experience.
Your answer brings up a secondary question.
Q: Do all these fans work off the same frequency and codes?
That is, if I have a Brand X fan, can I use the supposedly "universal" 4-PIN DIP Switch transmitter that I know to be working on that brand-X fan?