Advice on showers?

I've just moved to a new rental property. There's a bath with separate hot and cold taps, but no shower. Being a shower person myself, I really need to get a shower installed, but can't afford to shell out a lot of money (especially when I'm helping the landlord out by improving

*his8 house!) for a fancy shower. I was wondering if there is some way to adapt the taps in the bath to run a shower from them without having to replace them with mixer taps?

Another forseeable problem is that there may not be enough pressure to run a shower from the taps. I don't know how any of it works, but I read something online that said that the loft tank needs to be suitably high up in order to get good pressure.

I guess my only other option would be to get an electric shower and then take it out when I leave, don't particularly wanna have the plumbing/electricial work done for that though, as again, I'm paying to improve someone else's house, I'm too broke and too stingy to do that unless I HAVE to :-P Also, when my Mum had an electric shower installed, she also had to have a brand new fuse box as her present one at the time didn't have enough space on to run anything else. The whole electric shower process cost her the best part of £1,000 thanks to the new fuse box!

Can anyone give me some helpful advice on any of this? Would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance! Naomi

Reply to
griffinng

Only use golden showers. Its the law.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

[...]

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

See if you can unscrew the tub spout and then just add one of those hand held shower handles etc. You should just be able to add something to where the water comes out already mixed. Off course this wouldn't help fill the tub for a bath very well.

Reply to
HotRod

Post to this newsgroup:

UK.D-I-Y

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Tub spout"? Sorry, I have no clue what that is!

Thanks, Naomi

Reply to
griffinng

Go to google for a while. And let's get this straight, taps are used to dispense beer, not water. ;)

Reply to
G Henslee

They sell a tub spout with a fixture already attached to screw in a shower hose. You just have to mount a bracket to hold the shower head overhead and viola... a shower.

It works like a regular tub spout and even has a knob to pull to get the shower to come on.

Reply to
Olaf

Try something like this Add-A-Shower Diverter .. page down a bit, there are many varieties from complex to simple.

You should be able to unscrew the tub spout, and replace it with another spout with a spray hook-up. Then buy a simple hand shower, and connect it to the new tub spout. Total cost, $75.

[...]

Duncantuna