Advice on sealing a deck...

We had a pressure treated lumber deck built for us mid April. We are near Toronto Canada so the winters are cold and summers hot. Deck is in the sun most days and snow will build up on it.

The guy the built the deck said seal it in the fall. Anyone have any advice on products that would suit our weather? Should we do again in spring? Every spring AND fall? Do the rails and pickets get done as well?

Anyone with advice on not what to do?

Reply to
The Henchman

You have a couple of choices if you want the BESt. #1 Penofin Oil

Penofin Oil
If you don't like those, try Penofin Oil
I've had good results on my deck, on Spanish cedar and mahogany furniture. Lasts a long time and gives good protection. I won't use anything else.

Yes, do the rails and pickets the first time around. They will last longer than the horizontal surfaces though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've heard One Time Wood is very good also. I've not used it but probably would on new wood. ;-)

krw

Many products state to be applied above 50f and not to go below 50f for a period of time, so time may be running out for you. Ive been happy with Cabots oil products. Consumer Reports has a good rating- testing program you should read.

Reply to
ransley

I'd use #1, but if the store was out of stock, #2 would be OK.

In a pinch-- but I still like #1.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Temperature is going below 50 F tonight but I'm stuck in a kitchen renovation that is eating up all my free time. My wife may actually be sealing the deck this weekend....

Reply to
The Henchman