Advice on removing "Push Nuts"

I need to disassemble an exercise machine that used "Push Nuts" like these. Instructions say they need tool for removal, and are not re-usable. It appears HD stocks them (see link below)

Is there a special tool for removal ?? Or what is best alternative, prying, cutting, what ??

or

Reed

They are sometimes re-usable if you get them off w/o destroying them if you can the best way is to bang the part being held from the back side with a hammer. if you can't do that then pliers or a screwdriver; they break apart easily

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I usually use a pair of large lkiers and sort of crush them, then they slide off easily. Never had much luck trying to get them off intact.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Depending on accessibility, you could cut them off with a Dremel and cut-off wheel.

Anyway that you get them off will probably damage them enough that you should plan on replacing them with new ones.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I usually just mangle the heck out of them with a pair of locking pliers then replace. Handy way to installis to use a nut driver that will fit just fit over them.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Dang, price on those things are ridiculous, should be 10 for that price.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

After you get them off drill through the end of the shaft and replace them with cotter pins an a washer.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Hey - Neat idea if appearance is not important.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You can use Vice Grips to crush the nut and slip it off. If you cant get replacements, use a Dremel tool to cut a grove and slip on a washer and E ring to hold it in place.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This is a woman's job. Just find a woman who likes to push guys nuts. Most women want men who have push button nuts. They want to be able to push the man's nuts and get him to do whatever she wants at the moment. That could be anything from providing her with sex, taking out the garbage, buying her an expensive diamond ring, or building her a new kitchen. In other words, get your wife to do this job.

Reply to
piper

replying to piper, Deb wrote: Here's the answer... takes but a few seconds and it is off. All you need is a pair of tile snips, a bit of a squeeze and it's off and there is no damage to the nut. Did it the other night and worked like a charm.

Reply to
Deb

Instructions say they need tool for removal, and are not re-usable. It appears HD stocks them (see link below)

cutting, what ??

All you need is a pair of tile snips. Just squeeze the push nut and off it comes ... and no need to replace the nut as there is no damage to it. Easy!

Reply to
Deb

replying to piper, freekingout wrote: That made me giggle

Reply to
freekingout

That’s my plan, too, when I finally force the cap nut off.

Reply to
Fix-it-back-better