Advice on Mini-Split Installation

I am planning to purchase and install a Hitachi mini-split A/C unit this summer. I am very good mechanically, but wonder if there will be any specialized skills or equipment that I will need to make the connections between the wall unit and the condenser. Help much appreciated! Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Forgot to mention: I only have one possible location for the evaporator unit- under a window and about 14" off the floor. I know this is not optimal but how mcuh of a problem will it be? Thanks again. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I assume you have a vacuum pump, Nitrogen bottle for checking pressure. Gauges, and your EPA and Refrigerant certifications. Ya and a torch and some silver solder.

You will be better off contacting a contractor and having him do the start up and recommendation about your location.

Reply to
SQLit

Did you know that heat rises? They shold be mounted near the ceiling! You have a torch, vac pump, micron guage, extra R22, AC guages, and last but not least, an EPA card? Then no problem! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks all for your advice. The model that I am interested in (Hitachi) seems to be sold at several consumer websites so I wondered if these units weren't in some way simplified to allow relatively simple installation by the do-it-yourselfer. I will look for direct experience with these units (also branded Soleus I believe.) Of course I know heat rises. That's why I asked whether the low location for the evaporator (14" off the ground) would make the unit work so poorly that I'd want to forget about it. I suspect that's not the case because window mounted units are only a little higher and they seem to work perfectly well. Why don't I want to mount the unit near the ceiling? It would wreck the appearance of the room. Thanks again very much for your input! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Manifold gages. refrigerant scale. Bottle of R-22 freon. Acetylene torch. Brazing stick or silver solder. Vacuum pump. Micron gage. Federal EPA license.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In fact, what a supercilious comment! (Means "arrogant") Who cares what the temp is, near the ceiling, if it's satisfactory where you want it to be?

Not to mention that these units have fans and various movable exhaust nozzles on the low-side. Down at waist-to-chest height works fine, unless you're up next to it.

While we're being picky, it's "gauge."

John

Reply to
John Barry

Just to clarify, the center line of the evaporator would not be more than 20" off the floor.

Reply to
frank1492

As someone that installs about 3 of those a month...mini splits, you need to have the following:

2 inch hole saw. Good drill. stud finder micron gauge refrigerant licence (EPA card) refrigerant scales, EPA certified Refrigerant manifold Electrical licence depending on your area. AC/Heating licence, again, depending on your area, as not having either is illegal in some states. oxy/actelyne torch, and the abilty to use it 15% silver preferred A vac pump, that will pull at least 50 microns a leak detector Nitrogen tank, with regulator. Inline liquid line filter Rubatex, 1inch Line chase for a clean look.

For starters..each install is different, and with Mitsubishi units...the ONLY ones to have IMO from the ones I have seen, you only need to braze one fitting at the indoor unit, and you have to flare the 3/4 or 7/8ths line for the suction side.

If you dont know why its important to have the nitrogen, you can stop now. If you dont understand why or how to pull a proper vac, stop now. or you can just take a torch, some cheapy Radio Shack solder and get busy...one installation will last, and the other wont.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Wow! Did you have to drag out your thesaurus for that? And yes, I occasionally misspell a word or two, I just don't prof read my posts well. Back to the OP's question, did you see where he wanted to mount the evaporator about 14" off the floor? The outlet of the unit is going to be blowing against the floor. Really optimal for air movement.

You know, I could really care less where he mounts the evaporator unit. He can mount it on the floor for all I care. The manufactuter recommends mounting the unit high on the wall to get the best air circulation. Maybe he should mount the unit upside down, so the discharge is blowing up! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

They are not any easier than any other brand to install.

You are comparing two completely differant units. A window air conditioner is designed to be mouted about 3 feet of the floor. Mini-splits are designed to be mounted high wall. All the wall mount mini-splits I have seen blow the air out and down at the bottem of the unit. Window AC units blow out and up.

Mount the indoor unit where ever you want. It is designed to be mounted high. Air circulation in the room will be poor. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hi Greg and Others: Thanks again for your help. I realize these are supposed to be mounted high, I was merely asking how bad it would be if they were'nt. I came across one company that manufactures a chiller unit which is apparently designed to pump cold water through a radiant system. It is my understanding that most tubing for radiant systems these days is under the floor. If this is the case, and the chiller is used in these applications, I can't imagine why it would work at all. Also, to what extent would cold "radiate" without a fan? These may seem like stupid questions, but I am trying to learn. Thanks very much. Frank

On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:58:08 -0500, "Greg O" wrote:

Reply to
frank1492

Actually, what would be wrong with upside down mounting?

Reply to
frank1492

Pumping chilled water through a radiant system will cool the house somewhat, but you have to be careful to keep the floor surface above the dew point. If you really chill it, water will condense on the surface and make it slick (wet) and possibly damage it (hardwood floors).

The chiller you mention is probably designed more for air handlers than in floor radiant.

conditioner

Reply to
HeatMan

Mount it upside down and the condensate will leak on the floor....

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi frank1492, hope you are having a nice day

On 13-May-04 At About 05:16:27, frank1492 wrote to All Subject: Re: Advice on Mini-Split Installation

f> From: frank1492

f> Actually, what would be wrong with upside down mounting?

it would leak condensate water all over the floor :)

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2