Advice on label remover

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".
I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers on it without ruining the plastic finish.
Thanks,
Andy

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables leaving no residue.
jim wrote:

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)
Andy

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)
Andy
=========== Vegetable oil will work too, although for a vertical surface, the peanut butter would stay in place longer. It should say that on the label, but because half the world is stupid, that part of the label is occupied by the "Contains Peanuts, You Idiot" warning.

I use Naptha.

aka, basically lighter fluid if that's already on the shelf.
On Nov 18, 5:12pm, "Stormin Mormon"

glegroups.com...
I used a combo of stuff.
Goof Off got off the labels.
On most of the plastic, it did an excellent job.
On other different pieces, it started etching into it.
I spray painted it tonight.
Have a great day, Andy
http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional http://www.happynews.com

Use a hair dryer to heat factory stickers. They'll peel right off. Then use peanut butter or other solvent. I get good results using 99% or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol; that is just rubbing alcohol without water added. You can get it at an automobile parts store or a pharmacy. The full strength isopropyl is a staple item in my house. It removes ball point pen scribbles from the sofa, Sharpie permanent marker scribbles from the kitchen table, etc. Same and more from hands and feet...
    Una
On 11/18/2010 10:23 AM, Una wrote:

food containers.
Vegtable oil. The kind in a bottle, not the shortning.

Thanks for all the excellent ideas.
Have a great day, Andy
http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional http://www.happynews.com

Read with care the labelling on Goo Gone. This product is extremely good on glass but might have solvents that harm PVC.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 11/18/2010 2:00 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:

particularly susceptible to lots of solvents. OP's question would indicate that material he wants to remove labels from is in this category.

My favorite label/adhesive remover is Zippo or Rossignol lighter fluid.
It leaves no residue and I have yet to have it ruin any surface. It'll soak right through most labels and get right to the adhesive.
I buy it in "bulk" (3 - 4 12 oz containers) from whichever web source has the best final cost (product + shipping).
It's always cheaper than than buying it from a local store. It's also getting harder and harder to find the larger containers (or even *any* containers) at local stores.
WD-40 is my second choice.
On 11/19/2010 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Have you tried buying a gallon of naphtha? As I recall, most lighter fluid is naphtha or mostly naphtha. Shell developed Ronsonol for the Ronson Company.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/257v2ex
TDD