Advice On Electrified Fences

Page 1 of 2
Hi and Happy Holidays,
My understanding is that the intent of an electrified fence is if the animals get zapped once or twice then they learn to stay away fron it. Correct?
We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through our fence to feast on our plants and drink from our pools. Last March one fell into our pool and was half dead when discovered. The neighbor won't do anything about the problem. The other expats (we live in Costa Rica) adjoining his property have the same problem.
The fence has four strings of barbed wire and a wire mesh. The posts are cut tree limbs that dry out and offer little resistance to an animal the size of a cow. The HOA added an electrified fence about two feet inside the barbed fence. I have no idea why it was done this way instead of electrifying the existing fence (we were absent then).
Unfortunately, the electrified fence was not installed where the cows have broken through because it is close to the pool and there was a concern for liability. We need a means of protecting people from the fence while keeping it effective against the cows. Suggestions? FWIW, I grew up in farm country and in my adventurous youth was zapped by electrified fences more than once. I wouldn't want anyone to experience that on my account.
Thanks, Gary

I don't understand this from several perspectives. First is, while I don't expect Costa Rica is the US suburbs, are you saying that you have a HOA development in an area where farmers are allowed to just let cattle run free? That they don't have the responsibility of keeping them contained?
If that is the case, the apparently the HOA put up a barbed wire fence, then put up another electric fence INSIDE it? Why would they not put the electrified fence on the cattle side of the barbed wire? I guess one problem would be that if you did that, you'd possibly expose other people to the electric fence?
Without knowing more about property boundaries, etc hard to come up with any solutions. One though might be to put up an electric fence between the existing barbed wire and the pool and then a second fence to keep people away from it.
But the core problem here is that apparenly people can just let cattle wander anywhere and it's up to everyone else to deal with it? It's obviously easier and more effective for the cattle owner to keep them contained
On 12/9/2012 9:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Can't understand why this is a problem. Sounds like free steak dinner to me... Your biggest problem is needing a bigger freezer.
On 12/9/2012 3:27 PM, mike wrote:

We didn't have livestock on the farm I grew up on but my roommate did and I asked him how easily cows got spooked and ran away. I'm wondering if a mechanical "Scare Cow" would work on them. A motion activated noise maker with some sort of waving arms might scare the cows away from the fence. ^_^
TDD

They would probably get used to it in short order. They'd be taking pictures of each other standing next to it in a couple, three weeks. They remember an electric fence. We had some get out due to a flood. The best way to get them home was through a gate that was normally electrified. They were not going. I don't remember how we got them back in their pasture.
On 12/9/2012 10:04 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

A late friend of mine owned a small pizza place and pigeons were getting in and all over the refrigeration and HVAC gear on the roof. He put an owl decoy on the roof and one day I climbed up on the roof and saw a pigeon raping the owl. O_o
TDD

I had a heifer that was a fence crawling genius - couldn't keep her in. Installed electric fence. That kept her in - except when it was off, grounded, whateer. She would make a regular patrol of that fence sticking her nose almost touching the wire, Knew instantly if it was on or off. If off she was out again.
Harry K
Electrified Fences:

Looks like trouble in paradise.

- gpsman
"Abby" wrote in message
[...]
Sister in law in Brazil. Brazil rules. If a cow wanders onto your property and the owner does now claim it in 3 days, it is yours to butcher. Free meat. WW
On 12/9/2012 10:50 AM, Abby wrote: ...

Well, to do the barbed wire fence you'd have to put the wire on insulators. Generally, what one would do would be to string a single hot wire either on the top or near the top on the inside. Unless you put up a complete second fence it'll be rather useless.
As for the people, surely they're as smart as the cattle??? (I am still on the farm and an occasional shock is just part of dealing with farm fences--they'll get over it and likely won't do it again).
As for law, you'll have to check on local--in US mainland other than the few western states that still have open range it is the owner's responsibility. Of course, in a place such as you are, you're likely not particularly appreciated by the natives so they're probably not inclined to do more than bare minimum but one would think they wouldn't want to lose animals simply on the basis of the economics of it.

Certified electric fences won't kill anyone. City folk who move to the country soon learn which critters bite, which sting and not to p*ss on an electric fence a second time. (I do know a few that were talked into the act more than once but they were your typical politician).
Most farm kids learn the lesson about not p*ssing on electric fences by the age of 6 or 8 a few learn that lesson much earlier. City kids that visit are brought up to speed in short order.
On 12/9/2012 4:02 PM, NotMe wrote:

Bullshit!!! MythBusters disproved that myth.

MythBusters, like most newsmedia and Jerry Springer, are into the entertainment game, nothing more, nothing less.
I saw that episode and could with just a bit of adjustment of conditions have the old boy holding the family jewels in a death grip, deep in pain and rolling on the ground.
BTW I grew up, spending most summers and a lot of winters, on my grandparents working farm. There are a lot of things that city folk/city kids take as gospel that are just not so.

Generalizations without support much less validity. Kids get what the system allows and then, if they are fortunate, they go beyond that level.
Your defense of Mythbusters reminds me of the joke about FauxNews and WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant)
Want to keep a WASP un informed ... take away his access to FauxNews. Want to keep him mis-informed ... give it back.
Mythbusters is entertainment not science, get over it.

Give us a few specific examples of FoxNews misinforming.

<stuff snipped>

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf <<"Almost daily" viewers of Fox News, the authors said, were 31 points more likely to mistakenly believe that "most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit"; were 30 points more likely to believe that "most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring"; and were 14 points more likely to believe that "the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts."
They were also 13 points more likely to mistakenly believe "the auto bailout only occurred under Obama"; 12 points more likely to believe that "when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it"; and 31 points more likely to believe that "it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States."
The study's authors continued, "These effects increased incrementally with increasing levels of exposure and all were statistically significant. The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it - though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican."
On May 1, 2011, overzealous (and wishfully thinking?) Fox news reporter Will Thomas in Washington DC erroneously proclaimed that President Barack Obama had died -- when it was really Osama bin Laden who had died.
Then there's Bill O, apparently wholly ignorant of the subject of gravity and tidal forces:
O'Reilly: "I'll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion," he told Silverman. "Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. You can't explain why the tide goes in." Putting hundreds (thousands?) of years of work from astronomers, oceanographers, and scientists to shame, O'Reilly throws his insight into the mix, claiming the existence of God to be proven through the inexplicable nature of the tides of the ocean.>>
Tina Fey may be famous for her dead-on impersonation of politician-turned-Fox-correspondent Sarah Palin, but one would expect her own network to know the difference. Fox used a picture of Fey posing as the ex-governor instead of the real deal during a report about the possibility of Palin running for the 2012 presidential bid.
Fox News made a BIG mistake while discussing the Jerry Sandusky trial. While the hosts were explaining the verdict, the network accidentally showed stock footage of Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels. "We had a technical problem and we were showing Gov. Mitch Daniels in the video when we were talking about Jerry Sandusky, so we apologize for that," anchor Uma Pemmaraju said.
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/179144/how-journalists-are-covering-todays-scotus-health-care-ruling /
<<The Supreme Court announced its ruling on the Affordable Care Act around 10:15 a.m. ET. CNN, which has been suffering in the ratings, and Fox both mistakenly reported that the individual mandate was struck down. Screenshots show the mistake and the subsequent change. >>
That was my favorite. They were reporting on their hopes, not on actual facts.
http://journalism.about.com/od/ethicsprofessionalism/a/teaparty.htm says: << Then there was Fox Business anchor Cody Willard who in a live shot for Fox News at a Boston protest asked, "Guys, when are we going to wake up and start fighting the fascism that seems to be permeating this country?" Clearly, not a shining example of objective reporting. >>
There's SO much more, but you get the point. All news organizations make mistakes. The real problem with Fox, as I see it, is their seemingly strong reluctance to *admit* their mistakes like other more reputable news organizations do.
--
Bobby G.

Do you not realize that any poll showing what viewers believe is radically different than the acusation that FoxNews is misinforming people? That you are assuming cause and effect? If I surveyed people and found that a higher percentage of people who watch say MSNBC don't know who the Secretary of State is for example, does that prove that MSNBC is responsible for telling them someone else is Secretary of State. That would be the implication, following your faulty logic.
As for Fox viewers believing that most economists have estimated the healthcare law will worsen the deficit, well what are they saying here? That most economists have not said that? Well, that's probably true. Because most economists have probably not even weighed in on the issue. Or else, those economists are very stupid, because it sure as hell is going to worsen the deficit. Anyone with a pulse knows that. Like virtually every other big govt program, the cost just keeps going up, eventually costing 3, 4 10X the phoney projections that got it passed. So, sorry, but that sad example actually shows that Fox viewers don't have the wool pulled over their eyes, believing in fairy tales.
were 30 points more likely to believe

But that isn't the issue. The allegation is that Fox NEws misinformed it's viewers on those issues. I watch Fox. I strongly suspect you don't.

That's like saying because fire trucks are statistically significant with regard to fire scenes, that fire trucks caused the fires. Geez....

Oh, please. THAT is all that you've got? An obvious slip of the tounge, confusing those two, that various reporters from many organizations have done? That's an example of Fox misinformation? Boy, you really are the village idiot.

Yeah, I went and saw the actual video. I'm not sure what went wrong with OReilly there. But I'd not that the atheist lib Silverman apparently didn't know that the moon causes tides either, because if he did, he would have said it to O'Reilly. In short, a tempest in a tea pot. BFD. Of all the things O'Reilly says, that makes the list of misinformation?
Let's look at Dan Rather, how he ended his career making a total ass of himself with the false accusations against George Bush. That wasn't one sentence, it was a whole story based on BS.

Again, I see little dumb things like this everywhere. They happen on CBS evening news frequently. I don't chalk them up as CBS misinforming their viewers because they put up a wrong pic and correct it.

Oh my! Why a geniuine Fox conspiracy! They were misinforming their viewers, who couldn't tell Mitch Daniels from Sandusky. Boy, you are dumb.
BTW, where is your outrage at all the other news organizations who have done deliberate acts of misinformation? Changing things that were not obvious, that viewers would not immediately recognize as wrong? How about NBC editing the 911 call of George Zimmerman, editing out the part of the phone call where the dispatcher asks him to describe the suspect and leaving in where Z says he's black. How about when NBC came up with the voice experts that said Z was muttering "f...ing coons"? Only to have it turn out that everyone now agrees he was actually saing "f..ing cold" or similar. How about that? Now I ask you folks. Which is misinforming? What NBC did to Z, making him out to be a racist, or Fox accidently putting up Mitch Daniels photo instead of Sandusky?

CNN did it too, and yet you bring this up against Fox? If you were there, awake as that verdict came down it was, in fact, confusing. Many news organizations had problems with it for some minutes into the process. BFD. Compare that to what NBC did to Z, where they had hours and days to do what they did.

It figures it would be your favorite. The rest of us that were listening at the time know it was nothing specific to Fox.

That's the only example you've got here. Out of all the baseless accusation, one real thing. And clearly Cocy Willard isn't even at Fox News. He's at Fox Business and not of much importance. I watch Fox News 5 days a week and I've never seen him.
Now, how about going out and finding all the similar things that happen at all the other networks?

If all news organizations make mistakes, then why the accusation that FOX News specifically misinforms? And why the desperate attempt with totally lame examples? THAT is all you've got? Of all of it, you have one FoxBusiness reporter that went over the line. BFD.
On 12-13-2012 13:10, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yeah, that was OBVIOUSLY a calculated move to get people to vote out Daniels. Deliberate misinformation.
And then the disingenuous apology which was also a lie to cover their tracks.
No other network would EVER do dishonest things like putting explosives on a Pinto or saying a berserk gunman was acting for the Tea Party.
--
Wes Groleau

Expert, n.:
On 12/13/2012 9:29 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Which network news program was it that used model rocket engines to set off the Chevy pickup gas tank to create hysteria over Chevy pickup trucks exploding during traffic accidents? Fortunately experts caught them in that con. ^_^
TDD