Advice for wood chip to cover lousy weedy grass and dirt hillside

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:57:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

Do you guys, when you *do* use chips, put that gray thin water permeable ground cloth under them?
Or do you just put the chips 3" deep on the ground, like I did, here?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/10503703705_8cb210f251_o.png
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 01:51:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

Sometimes. It's preferred.

I use landscape fabric under the red cedar mulch I use in an area behind the house that gets essentially zero sun.
It keeps the weeds away for a few years until the wood and leaves break down, leaving a great growing medium on top of the fabric. By then there is hardly any mulch left, so we start from scratch. It's not a large area, so it's not a big deal. Maybe 3 cu yards, 3" deep.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 02:18:08 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you 'stake' it down or just let it lie there under the wood chips?

I just lay it down. I tell it not to go anywhere and so far it has listened.
After a few years it gets interwoven with little roots and it can't move anyway. At least that's what happens in my yard.
When I've had to remove some to add a garden for my wife or build a shed, I had to cut the fabric with a utility knife and then rip it away from the roots.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 03:01:40 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OK. I'll buy a roll of the stuff. Thanks.

He could also find an upholstery supply house and buy the synthetic dustcover for about 20-30 cents a yard http://www.beaconfoamuphsupply.com/Products/textiles I've used it in a couple of areas and so far has held up for a couple three years ymmv

no, and it will rot
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:53:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

how much it costs. I bought a few rolls, but not nearly enough, as I think I should shop around.

I once saw those big green rolls of "astroturf" like stuff under wood chips at a friend's house. He said the weeds NEVER grow up thru that stuff (which is about 1/8" thick!).
Expensive though...

That's what I'm thinking. It makes no sense for me to WATER the lawn, since water is just wasted on grass. I guess in places where it actually rains, that wouldn't be a conservation issue. But why deplete an aquifer if I don't have to?

don't stick up too high as to hurt the grandkids.

This is good to know. The gray stuff I bought is pretty see through. Thanks.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:01:51 -0700, Oren wrote:

The fire hazard out here is extreme.
But, I don't think wood chips on the ground are a fire hazard.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/10503797296_39586e3c66_o.gif
At least, the insurance company never said anything about that. (And they do tell me to clean the brush 100 feet away from the house.)
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:32:00 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Funny you should say that because I bought a cultivator to do just that. So, the slope that is steep *will* be terraced (eventually).
But, for now, I think I'm gonna dump 10 cubic yards of wood chips on it.
I *am* worried though that it will all end up in the pool.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:13:48 -0400, krw wrote:

Thanks.
Would you put the ground cloth under the 3 inches of chips?
Or just forgo the ground cloth?
Does it work?
Ivy takes over hillsides very well prevents erosion and chokes out weeds, plus it needs near zero maintence other than a occasional trim to keep it where you want it...
costs near zero.
Had a neighbor with a steep slope, he put down that plastic and had hillside covered with mid sized rocks. looked nice till it killed a mature tree, and in short order debris got between the rocks, and weeds started growing making the rocks look bad....
the neighbor had all his trees cut down, to minimze debris in the rocks and he feared a tree could fall and hit his home.....
his once beautiful yard looked sad without the trees, and he fell, and ended up in a nursing home..
meanwhile his home was sold and they have began replanting the trees
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:40:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Well, the ground cloth did turn out to be vastly more expensive than the wood chips. :)