Advice for wood chip to cover lousy weedy grass and dirt hillside

Do you 'stake' it down or just let it lie there under the wood chips?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I just lay it down. I tell it not to go anywhere and so far it has listened.

After a few years it gets interwoven with little roots and it can't move anyway. At least that's what happens in my yard.

When I've had to remove some to add a garden for my wife or build a shed, I had to cut the fabric with a utility knife and then rip it away from the roots.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I couldn't identify it. Curious. Anybody know?

Speaking of miserable failures, I have to admit one of my own. After I had a huge, ancient hedge taken out --generating a truly awesome amount of roo ts -- I created a charming area in its place (pats self on back). The cool part was that I hardly had to buy any new specimen-size plants, largely uti lizing plants from around the garden and patio which had suffered for decad es in pots. Free at last, they're very happy!

But I run on: To make a path to the side gate, rather than do the conventi onal stepping stones, I bought an expensive flat of Dymondia, which I had s een planted around the local library -- individual plants spreading over ti me to create a creating a uniform no-care low-growing area.

I THOUGHT I prepared each hole properly, but only a few plants survived. Eventually I had to admit this wasn't happening, so bought another flat. M y neighbor sent over his worker to dig up the area -- I didn't ask! - he of fered! So I hope to hell this new batch is happy in its fluffy new home, e nriched with worm castings and compost.

So amigo, you are not alone!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

OK. I'll buy a roll of the stuff. Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Could you suggest a few things?

I've got a couple of mature apple trees in the backyard, in an area that's shady in summer. The grass doesn't seem to want to grow there (never really did). The soil there doesn't seem to be that great, in any case.

I was wondering if some kind of clover might work there.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
John Albert

There is some clover and also different forms of sedum. You may want to visit one of the local nurseries to see what they recommend for your area.

Or find one here

Ed Pawlowski

Put a sign up -- "Free Pine Wood Chips. Help Yourself".

Reply to
TomR

P.S. You can also post it on Craig's List for your area -- "Free Pine Wood Chips" and upload a photo and give the location.

Reply to
TomR

Ivy takes over hillsides very well prevents erosion and chokes out weeds, plus it needs near zero maintence other than a occasional trim to keep it where you want it...

costs near zero.

Had a neighbor with a steep slope, he put down that plastic and had hillside covered with mid sized rocks. looked nice till it killed a mature tree, and in short order debris got between the rocks, and weeds started growing making the rocks look bad....

the neighbor had all his trees cut down, to minimze debris in the rocks and he feared a tree could fall and hit his home.....

his once beautiful yard looked sad without the trees, and he fell, and ended up in a nursing home..

meanwhile his home was sold and they have began replanting the trees

Reply to
bob haller

He could also find an upholstery supply house and buy the synthetic dustcover for about 20-30 cents a yard

I've used it in a couple of areas and so far has held up for a couple three years ymmv

Reply to
ChairMan

Funny you should mention that because today I went to home depot and saw how much it costs. I bought a few rolls, but not nearly enough, as I think I should shop around.

I once saw those big green rolls of "astroturf" like stuff under wood chips at a friend's house. He said the weeds NEVER grow up thru that stuff (which is about 1/8" thick!).

Expensive though...

That's what I'm thinking. It makes no sense for me to WATER the lawn, since water is just wasted on grass. I guess in places where it actually rains, that wouldn't be a conservation issue. But why deplete an aquifer if I don't have to?

I was going to use duct tape but pins of steel make sense as long as they don't stick up too high as to hurt the grandkids.

This is good to know. The gray stuff I bought is pretty see through. Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I am going to go deep. I have enough, and, I assume deeper would take longer for the weeds to take hold.

A friend suggested I spray roundup ahead of time though. Just to be sure.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Well, the ground cloth did turn out to be vastly more expensive than the wood chips. :)

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

no, and it will rot

Reply to