Advice for new swimming pool filter? Zeolite?

I thought I would start early and do some research for replacing my existing pool filter.

I currently have a de type filter which I find a royal pia to keep clean and maintained properly, but its filtering qualities surpass that of standard sand filters. However, I have been reading about a mineral substance called Zeolite which can be used in place of the standard sand in the sand filters. This stuff supposedly provides as good as a filtration media as de, without the mess. It also has the added benefits of being able to reduce ammonia waste and use less backwash time to clean. If anyone out there has any experience with using Zeolite in their filters, I would appreciate it if you would pass along your experiences.

TIA

John

Reply to
john

My pool filter is made of paper and lasts 3-5 years, I rinse it off when the pressure gets above 20psi on the tank. No problems yet and my pool (when it's open) is very clear. Rich

Reply to
Rich

I converted to Zeolite last summer. We use Baquacil/Swim Soft sanitizer, which is reputed to be difficult to keep clear after a few years. This was the 7th year with the Baquacil and our water sparkled all summer. Much, much easier maintenance with the Zeolite, and we did find it to be true that we needed fewer chemical treatments. That was the first year of use though, we'll have to see how it works out this summer, as we're not planning on replacing it.

Reply to
ZsaZsa

Thanks for the input. I think that is the way I'll go. Have been pricing sand filters to replace my old de filter. I also understand you use only half the manufacturers requirement when using Zeolite than you would normally use for conventional sand. It is also environmentally safe,lasts longer than regular sand, and does not need to be backwashed as often. Nice pluses.

John

ZsaZsa wrote:

sanitizer,

Reply to