Advice for moss and algae on asphalt roof shingles

Page 1 of 2

I had new roofing installed (GAF 50 year asphalt shingles) about 5 years ago. I've noticed that over the past year its started to develop growing moss and algae on certain sections which are located under tall oak trees. The old roof, under the same trees for 30 years had NONE of this growth. I've also noticed that on one side of my house, the same end of the house with the roof moss, has algae growing relatively significantly on my white alum siding. Again, only the past year or so.
This side is south facing and there are no side trees blocking horizontal sun exposure.
So, my questions are:
What might be causing this condition starting only this past year?
What damage is being caused by the moss on the shingles?
What could I do to eliminate and prevent future growth?
Any possible recourse with the shingle manufacturer?
Thanks for any/all advice provided.

You can't beat this product.
http://www.sprayandforget.com /
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I don't trust anything that says it's "eco-friendly".
Jon
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

stains all over my white shingled roof. They are gone. Not plants or animals were harmed in the process.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:36:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:
-snip-
you need to make up your mind-

We know that statement is false. The question now, is 'what else was killed besides the lowly algae.
Jim
tnom wrote:

Do you have a bottle of Spray and Forget handy? If so, would you please post the listed active ingredients from the label?
--
Tony Sivori

Benzylkonium Chloride
From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride
It is used in pharmaceuticals such as leave-on skin antiseptics, hygienic towelettes, and wet wipes, Lysol and ethanol-free solutions are often used in preparations used for skin disinfection prior to use of syringes.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in wrote:

Nice suff...Wonder if Rover will be rigid yet when Mr Fixit comes off the roof.
[from the link]
Benzalkonium chloride, also known as alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride and ADBAC, .... ADBAC is highly toxic to fish (LC50 = 280 ?g ai/L), very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates (LC50 = 5.9 ?g ai/L), moderately toxic to birds (LD50 = 136 mg/kg-bw), and slightly toxic to mammals (LD50 = 430 mg/kg- bw).[4] Benzalkonium chloride solutions of 10% or more are toxic to humans, causing irritation to the skin and mucosa, and death if taken internally.[5]

10% ? The concentration of Benzalkonium chloride in the use of this product is not even close to 10%
Internally? Do you take gasoline, bleach, or bullets internally? If so then I would also be concerned with Benzalkonium chloride.
tnom wrote:

Thanks for that. One more question (that I should have asked the first time), what is the percentage listed on the label?
--
Tony Sivori
Bob F wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/yd4pn4m
--
Tony Sivori

Very first result from Bing search....http://www.askthebuilder.com/539-Removing-Moss-and-Algae-From-Roofs.shtml
Brush it off with a stiff bristle brush and add copper strips under the cap with an inch or 2 of copper exposed....

Zinc strips are often used. Lot less expensive. Have no knowledge of comparison of effectiveness.
Red Green wrote:

I thought copper worked too?
TDD
Meat Plow wrote:

You're not nice!
--
Tony Sivori
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:16:13 -0500, Tony Sivori

You're right!

If you agree to put up with the removal of the particles that make up a shingle and thus shorten its life, then this scrubbing motion will certainly remove the moss and algae and a portion of the shingle..
The smart way to remove algae is to not use any scrubbing motion at all. Just apply a long lasting chemical that will eventually kill the growth. Then with periodic applications of once every two years this same chemical will maintain a algae free roof.
http://www.sprayandforget.com /

search....http://www.askthebuilder.com/539-Removing-Moss-and-Algae-From-Roofs.shtml
I don't know if copper will kill the moss and algae but it will cause green stains on the roof, so there may be no change in appearance. Zinc kills moss and algae and oxidizes as white and may not cause any visible stains on the roof while eliminating the green.

ZINC strips..Google 'zinc roof strips': buy and put them up per instructions
Rudy wrote:

Then hope the do anything. They didn't stop the moss on my neighbor's roof.