Advice about 2nd VoIP Number

Next week I'm hooking up Time Warner cable internet plus one VoIP phone, so that part's all set.
I have a 2nd land line that I need to convert to VoIP and keep the same number. For 2nd line, TWC charges $39/month -- more than the land line costs.
Anyone know of another way to connect VoIP via the new cable connection? Someone mentioned connecting a wireless phone base to the router, but I don't know where to go from there to get the old number ported over.
If a 2nd VoIP phone is not going to practical on the cable connection, my next step would be add another cell phone to the family plan, $10/month with AT&T.
Thanks fellers!
SJ

Have you checked out Ooma? They may be able to port your number for a one-time $40 fee. Their Premier service (an extra $10 per month) provides two lines (incoming and outgoing), but I don't know if you can port two phone numbers.
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 2:47:50 PM UTC-5, Neill Massello wrote:

I recommended Ooma several days ago in the other thread he started. I don't have experience myself with them, but that's where I'm likely going in a few months. I do have experience with MajicJack and Nettalk and gave the reasons why IMO, they both suck. If he wants to pay ~$30/mth, then Vonage seems to be good, but considerably more $$ than Ooma.
I think he said something about not being able to port the second Verizon number because it's not an actual line, it's a distinctive ring number on the same line. If that's a problem, the solution is very likely to get Verizon to make that second number an actual physical line on their most basic plan for a month. They almost certainly can do that and once they do, then it can be ported like any other number.
The other recommendation was to connect a *cordless* phone system to the VOIP unit. That way you don't need to worry about connecting the VOIP unit to the existing phone wiring, phone jacks, etc., unless you need that for some unique reason. I would not use a WIFI connection between a wireless router and the VOIP unit, unless he needs to do that for some particular reason. In many cases, I think they give you a cable modem that includes the VOIP in one unit. Just hook up a cordless phone system to that and you're good to go. For the second number, he can get Oooma, whatever, hook an ethernet cable between it and the router, connect a phone or second cordless system, and he's good to go. If it were me, I'd definitely look at the pricing for the VOIP from TWC for the first line too. I'll bet it's less expensive to go with Ooma for both lines. But if he gets some promo rate for a year or two, then TWC might not be much.

same

line costs.

connection?

but I don't

can

Thanks, haven't been able to check the website yet I still have Verizon "high speed" DSL -- today with 3.5Kbps (not a typo) until I get cable on Wednesday. Email and newsgroups are OK, but can't connect to any websites.
On 12/13/2014 11:33 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

That sounds like my DSL when Verizon had it. It was ok at 3AM, or even during the early part of the day. But after 5PM or so, it would drop down to below dial up speeds. Turns out, V was selling off the unit and didn't care about its customers! The new owner, Frontier, had to add a lot of bandwidth to make it all work.

same

line costs.

connection?

but I don't

can

Verizon "high speed" DSL -- today with 3.5Kbps (not a typo) until I get cable on Wednesday. Email and newsgroups are OK, but can't connect to any websites.

and

It would be in Verizon's favor if they started telling people that. I don't mind working with a company if they are straight with me. But they have been blaming everything on "old, corroded copper wire" which is nonsense.
I would like to see Verizon go into the toilet paper business so I can use their product the way it was intended.
On 12/14/2014 1:49 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Verizon switched my copper to FIOS. Price is same and I have separate long distance carrier. Use the phone for business which a client pays for or I would ditch it. I have ViOP with Comcast cable. ViOP has all the free options like long distance, caller id and number block which Verizon nickels and dimes you for. International calls would be extra which is why I have long distance carrier for the FIOS phone.