advertisements hanging from fence or doorknob

How do you react to advertisements left hanging on your fence gate or your front door know, or stuffed a little between the door and the jamb?

I don't like it because if I'm away and they stay there for days, it's like an announcement to the world, "He's not here. Break in at your leisure."

Now actually these days I don't go away often, but I'm planning a two-month trip and many people travel for work or take a lot of vacations, short and long. or they're in the hospital, and I couldn't be the only one this annoys.

In the past it's been pizza parlors, but today I got a bag of junk from a would-be politician, and the JWitnesses stuffed something in my door jamb leaving almost all of it sticking out.

I don't know whether to call all of these people up and complain, or to give up, and hope my next door neighbors will really remove the ones on my fence when I tell them I"m going away. ???????

Ironically, I have a slot in my door where they could put all this stuff, And the mailman doesn't know or care what went in the door and what didn't.

Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

Reply to
micky

[...]

I have good neighbors. We watch each others house and mail and take care of it when occupant is gone for a day or more. Mail boxes at street edge not on house. WW

Reply to
WW

It is illegal to put non-mail in mailboxes. If it is a slot into a house the mailman won't know. For a mailbox that can be opened the mailman can create a problem.

Someone I know had a business where non-mail was left for him in a mailbox. The mailman picked it up and he had a hard time getting it back.

Don't know if the post office would give crap to purveyors of junk fliers.

Reply to
bud--

It is my understanding that it is against Federal Law for your milbox to be used for any other purposes. That's why UPS and FedEX won't leave stickers in your mailbox, always separately posted.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I would put a big note on my door stating that I am not home and will not return for at least a couple of months. This should keep individuals from leaving advertisements, etc....wait, this may not be a good idea.:-)

Reply to
IGot2P

I used to work for a large gas utility, service people wanted to have some door hangers to tell customers that they had called. The president heard about it and banned them. It appears that leaving a door hanger or tag on the door, announced to anyone on the street that the home has been tested and no one found at home, so that thieves can break in without problem, and the home owner can now sue the company that left the door hanger. If anyone leaves one on my door, they get a phone call to tell them that they have just open themselves to legal liability, and should stop the practice.

In the US is appears that the Post Office takes ownership of mail boxes and prohibits anyone from leaving material in it, in Canada this doesn't apply.

Jehovah's Witnesses are told NOT to leave literature in the mail box, or in a visible location, but there are some people who don't listen to instructions.

Reply to
EXT

I don't have a solution but if I find a flier on my car I just toss it to the ground but you would not want to litter your neighborhood.

Post does remind me that one of these days I'm going to sneak around and epoxy a "No Solicitors" placard to the Jehovah's Witnesses temple sigh.

Reply to
Frank

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, micky belched:

I have a NO SOLICTING sign and it seems to work for advertisement, too. Since I put it up, i've not had any door hangers left. They also make a No Solicting/ No Handbill sign too YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

I put a note on my door saying " Door will be answered by a naked 82 yr old man, knock at your own risk". Pretty much keeps everyone away. But, can be a drawback if you're expecting a delivery.

Reply to
Jimbo

  1. Collect them and keep them just inside your entry door on a hook.
  2. Put them on the door knob when you come home and take them off when you leave.
  3. Keep a loaded shotgun in easy reach. .
  4. Cancel your hunting license, you won?t need it anymore.
Reply to
recyclebinned

I know it's against the law, but I wondered how often mailmen try to enforce that. I think my own mailman, for the last 10 or 15 years, once said something about not minding HOA newsletters.

Reply to
micky

We used to have signs at each entrance to the n'hood that said "No solicitating". I liked them, even if they were spelled wrong. After the whole signs finally wore out, that part wasn't replaced, alas.

Two or three times I've had guys from IDT come to the door wanting to sell me electricity. They always want to see my old bill, and I know their bosses want that so they can get the account number and slam me.

What I don't know is how often the door-to-door guys are part of the crime. Anyone know?

I don't show anyone my bill.

Reply to
micky

LOL

Reply to
micky

No kidding. I figured they didn't work much.

Hmmm. I have to think about this. Thanks.

Reply to
micky