Advantages of the metric system

Page 5 of 5
DerbyDad03 8:51 PM (1 hour ago)
Other recipients: When I rebuilt a bench for my wife, I took one of the original slats, used it to set the fence on my table saw and ripped all the new ones in a matter of minutes. I then used one of the originals to determine which router bit would make a matching r - show quoted text -

When I rebuilt a bench for my wife, I took one of the original slats, used it to set the fence on my table saw and ripped all the new ones in a matter of minutes.
I then used one of the originals to determine which router bit would make a matching round over and ran them all through the router table.
Then I drilled the holes for mounting them to the frame, again using an original slat as a template. I made a dipping tube from PVC pipe and used a piece of wire in the holes to dip them in stain and then hung them up to dry.
The old bolts were so rusted that I just snapped them off and replaced them. A pretty simple weekend project. Show trimmed content
I am sure many of the bolts will shear off when I try to remove them. The problem I had with the slats was that I could only get 2 slats per piece of Trex if I made them exactly the same width. If I made them a little (3/16 ") narrower, I could get 3 slats per piece. And since Trex is not cheap, a nd I am, I wanted to get 3 slats per piece.
I hope the boiling water will make it possible to bend the two armrests.
...snip...

So you chose a product that is more flexible than wood and then cut the slats narrower.
Do let us know if the bench feels more like a hammock when you sit in it.
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 20:00:03 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

But just think how much easier it would have been if your router and saw had metric markings on them.

That happens. I'd replace them with stainless.

See above.

I wouldn't count on it. I'd worry about damaging the Trex.

> piece of Trex if I made them exactly the same width. If I made them a

Seems like we lost a level of quotes here. Half of your responses were to my post about rebuilding a bench for my wife and the other half were to the OP.
re: Stainless bolts. SWMBO's bench has black wrought iron end supports and a black center support. Stainless bolts would have looked out of place. I had some black bolts with large, round Phillips heads left over from another project so I used those.
Something like this, only longer.
http://www.mutualscrew.com/media/images/kbts214.jpg
It came out real nice.