Admiral Dishwasher - The Door is Falling, and It Can't Get Up!

My 20-year old Admiral dishwasher is still going strong, except that last night, when I pulled the door open, I heard a loud crunch, and now the door just falls open on its own weight everytime I open it. The springy support that the door used to have is gone, and the door all of a sudden is now heavy since there is no more spring-loaded assist to keep it up. Also, all the plastic wheels that make the wire rack glide out have fallen off.

I still love this unit and despite its age, I'd like to keep it going. Can these defects still be repaired, can it qualify as a do-it-yourself project, and what parts and tools do I need? Is the broken or dislodged spring inside the heavy door wall, or is it on the inside wall of the dishwasher? Any available parts assemby diagrams?

The Admiral dishwasher is Model No. DU2406-A S/N 00916 94 0686 manufactured by the Holland Division in Sharmburg, IL.

Thanks.

Reply to
franzen_torres

I imagine it could be repaired but taking it apart might make alot more problems like rusted screws breaking or ruining their mount hole. Why not just use it till its dead, so now you just lower it by hand. Paying someone to fix it might be 50% the cost of a new unit.

Reply to
m Ransley

Abe

Let's break this down to logical steps. If you call a service technician, it will cost about 30% to 60% of the cost of a brand new DW and once repaired, something else can go tomorrow. Waste of money.

If you can figure out how to disassemble and repair the door yourself, you may get a few more years from it. Just a guess, if you can't figure what tools you need, it may be over your head. The good part of this, if you experiment and damage something, there will be little loss. Take a shot at it. Expect to run into rusted screw heads and bolts, etc.

While you like the existing unit, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much better it washes, quieter, etc. Think about a new one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are springs on the ends of the hinges inside the dishwasher. They do rust and age, and eventually break sometimes. One of the two on my older Kitchen Aid broke last year. You need to pull the bottom panel off and sort out how the springs are attached, and see if you can get replacements. It's not that hard a job, but I havent done it, I just live with the "heavy" door.

Can't say about the racks.....

franzen snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Duane