Adjusting Storm Door Closures

com,

ps.com,

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Increased pull

No, I haven't had anyone else look at it, and I don't think I'm going to call/pay a contractor to adjust my closures for me.

I can get the door to latch with the window open, in fact, I can even get the door to latch with the window closed. It just that when I do that, it closes a little to loudly when the entry door is full open. Maybe I'm just being too anal.

I think that rather than have someone look at my door, I'll look at few other and see how they operate. Maybe I just need to accept a little more "noise" with the entry door open. I'd like to hear nothing more than the "click" of the latch, but that may be too much to ask for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, I'm aware of the closed inner door situation. That was why I also mentioned allowing an air escape thru the storm to the outside. You would not have the extension problem I mentioned because your installation comments were quite clear. I just know I've seen people not pay attention to where they mounted the arm to the door; you had to open the door to its absolute farthest possible position for it to latch the door. But your description sounds completely correct, plus you followed a set of instructions you didn't mention before. Sorry if I wasted ether.

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Well, I've made it happen to myself during an installation. The seals are normally all twisted and take time to straighten, but this one was perfect, plus the bottom piece that's used to make the bottom fit perfectly had a seal on it too. I just knocked the bottom extender up about a sixteenth and that took care of it not latching. You're right though, the situation isn't normally what one would expect. Also I don't like bottom closers: I always use the center and top mounts. Hmm, wonder if that's what's going on? Even the expensive doors will bow slightly so if the latch is too perfectly located, or tight, then it could well not latch! I'll bet that's it: The latch needs to be set to allow an earlier latching of the door. More I think, the more sure I am. Hope he's reading this.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I'll bet you simply have the door latch set too perfectly. The door has to absolutely close tight before it can latch. Move the latch for an earlier (looser) latching. It'll latch, still allow the air to escape after the latch, and be pulled in against the jambs by the closers when the air has escaped.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

s.com,

oups.com,

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Increased pull

You need to become a little deaf, then the closing noise won't bother you. Every door that I have had, and that's plenty in 70+ years, makes some noise when closing with enough force to override the latch and the (airtight) seals that the door presses against when it is fully closed.

Reply to
hrhofmann

.com,

ps.com,

I'll try adjusting the latch (actually the strike plate) although when I tried that, the door didn't seal as tightly against the weather stripping as I would like.

You also mentioned you didn't like bottom closures. There is no option for a middle closure with this door, since both panes move. In addition, both panes have retractable screens so there is no option as to the placement of the bottom closure since the instructions say not to mount it through the screen housing (duh!) or the kickplate.

The top closure has about a 1" range on the storm door itself, but if you go too high, the jamb-side bracket hits the top of the entry door jamb. You are pretty much limited as to where you can mount the closures from a "up-down" perspective.

DerbyDad03

You've been around this group for a while. Did you expect any less than a total lack of reading comprehension skill from 90% of the respondents?

Reply to
mkirsch1

I can always hope!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've seen it here and other places also. Air can stop a lot. I had a piece of glass about 1.5'x4' and could let it fall from upright to flat on the wood floor. I did it probably a hundred times to scare people. Let it go and the air cushions it as it approaches the floor. Hardly made a sound when it hit, just a whoosh or air. Never broke. Accidentally dropped one on concrete the same way, it didn't break but I didn't risk trying it again on purpose.

Two doors with good seals multiply the air resistance exponentially. On my problem doors they did have friction where they were rubbing on the frame. With the main door open the storm door had enough speed to overcome the friction. Fixed where they rubbed and that took care of that. The problem was just multiplied by closing the main door, not actually caused by it.

Reply to
Tony