Adjusting hinges on an exterior door

We bought a house and have a gap on the rear side of the door where the hinges connect. The hinge was not placed deep enough (close to the outside) in the jam so now I have almost a 1/4" gap and you can see daylight with the door closed. Basically, it does not come all the way up to the weather seal. Not only am I worried about the weather but hurricane season is coming again and I'm sure this will be an issue.

If I try to router out and move the hinges such a short distance, I'm afraid the screw holes will be damaged and will not hold.

Options/thoughts?

Reply to
TC

I'd take a chisel to the doorframe and/or door. You'll just be setting the screws deeper. If you don't want to do that, add more weather stripping.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
Jordan

I think I would consider starting by looking at the weather striping. If it is over 5 years old, it may be time to replace it and it may well be possible to seal it well.

Resetting the door closer to the hinge side is going to widen the gap on the striker side. That is also not good. You would have just moved the problem, not solved it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's pretty confusing, even when I reread it, but I thought he meant he wanted to put the whole door closer to the outside, and not change any of the other measurements.

TC, which side is the rear side of the door? It doesn't come up to the weather seal on what edges/sides of the door? All four?

Reply to
mm

Hard to explain without pics. It will remain centered between hinge and striker sides. Picture this: you walk up to your front door (that's closed). From behind, you push it forword (towards the outside) until it touches the weather seal. That's my problem. On the side where the hinges attach it does not allow the door to touch the seal.

Reply to
TC

You are correct. The front side of the door (outside) does not touch the seal on the hinge-side.

Reply to
TC

OK, Now I understand what you are wanting to do. Frankly I think you are likely doing it the hard way. I would move the stops and or weather stripping to the door not the door to the stops or weather stripping. Normally when hanging a door, you hang the door first THEN you set the door stops in place. Much easier that way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree, this would have been easier. But the house is about 14 years old and this is a new door on an existing jam. The was put on crooked. If I moved the stops now to meet the door, they would not match each other. The door touches the stops on one side but not the other. They don't line up now as it is and to move them would make it even worse. I would have to re-cut the holes for the deadbolt, etc.

I'm going to have to weigh the pros and cons of all. I may end up rehanging the door. :(

Reply to
TC