Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it malpractice?

NYS and NYC have a lot of good laws you won't find other places. or you'll find them but they were passed after NY did.

Certainly more than Maryland, but that's partly because Md. has a lot fewer people, fewer complaints, fewer case decisions, fewer reasons to improve the laws. Unless you're one who needed an improved law, then the reason is very big.

Reply to
micky

taxed and spent posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

dgk posted for all of us...

Ya know, we don't care any more... You royally bleeped it up both in transaction and posting, so just go away.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ok, thanks.

Reply to
dgk

When I was 6, my grandfather replaced a wall switch for us and I watched.

When I was 9, my father had died and my mother called an electrician because a fuse kept blowing. He unplugged everything, replaced the fuse, and went around the house plugging things back in until the fuse blew again. I thought, "I could have done that!" I suspect my mother thought the same thing.

Later we would repair things together. I'd tell her what to do and she'd do it because she was still stronger than I.

I could probably wire a whole house now, but my dreams of that have faded the older I get.

It's often easier to do it oneself than just calling around and being home when they come.

Reply to
micky

That's why I volunteer to do things for others. To learn on their houses. Seriously, I've never tried something beyond my skills on someone else's property, any little mistake I made I undid within a few minutes.

It's the third time I do something that I'm likely to screw up.

Reply to
micky

It was a great learning experience though. It put you on the path to independence.

I remodeled two bathrooms in the past year or so and I found it much easier to write a check that to do most of the work. Arthritis has a way of doing that. Fortunately, the guys doing the work are reasonably priced. Ex son-in-law and his friend that does tile work. I paid half what I'd pay a regular contractor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I haven't read the entire thread and all of the other responses etc.

But, by just looking at the photos, it looks to me that probably the whole floor original tile job was defective -- maybe not enough adhesive, or possibly moisture coming up through the concrete if it is a ground level slab, or whatever. It looks like the other original tiles were already in danger of coming up and when they replaced and re-attached or glued the new tiles adjacent to the old ones, just the slightest amount of expansion or contraction due to a temperature change or whatever caused the already-defective original tiles to start popping up. Looks like you need the whole floor to be re-done and that trying to only fix the tiles that you knew were loose wasn't the solution that you needed..

I am not sure that I would have the heart to ask for all of my money back from the contractor who did the fix, but maybe just a partial refund since whatever he did didn't work -- probably due to the orignal floor tile job being defective. By a partial refund, at least he wouldn't take a total hit after spending time and money trying to fix your original problem. Maybe he should have known that the other original tiles were also defectively installed and may also start to pop up once the part that he fixed was done, but I am not sure that he could have predicted that. He did spend time and money and he showed up and did the job. I think it's just a problem with the whole original floor tile job.

Reply to
TomR

P.S. Is this a basement level of below grade level living space? The last photo looks like the floor isn't level and the old thinset didn't adhere to the concrete floor uderneath.

Reply to
TomR

Only one floor but it's Florida. It's possible that the tiles were done badly, but all the houses around me were done by the same builder at the same time, and none of my neighbors has had this happen. I think a partial refund is probably fairest.

Reply to
dgk