Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it malpractice?

Page 6 of 6
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 8:30:04 AM UTC-4, dgk wrote:

That all depends on your level of "handy man" skills.
Some folks don't need a contractor to build an entire house, others call a licensed electrician to change a light switch.
It's not only the choice of the product that makes the difference, it's the skill set/desire of the person wanting the job done.
When I bought my first house 30+ years ago I hired a plumber to swap out a concrete utility sink for a fiberglass one. Since then I've remodeled the laundry room and 2 bathrooms by myself. All three were gut jobs, including jack hammering the concrete slab to get to the drains. Tile, vinyl, drywall, subfloor, plumbing, you name it. I'm not bragging in any sense, just emphasizing my point that it's not a matter of tile vs laminate, it's skill sets, desire and learning ability that really matter.
Oh yeah...and finances too. At the time, I couldn't have afforded to have a contractor do the work, so I read and learned and asked questions in this very group.
On 9/9/2015 2:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I bought my first house I was 20 and had minimal experience. I had an electrician at work come over and add a couple of new circuits. He not only put them in, he showed my how to do it. Now I can wire an entire house.
I found it easier to learn how to fix thing instead of paying a tradesman, though I have at times. Good to know your limits too.
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 3:47:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

re: Limits
I roofed my 8 x 10 shed but paid someone else to roof my house.
Some sage advice from Clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Right turn, Clyde.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:47:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

When I was 6, my grandfather replaced a wall switch for us and I watched.
When I was 9, my father had died and my mother called an electrician because a fuse kept blowing. He unplugged everything, replaced the fuse, and went around the house plugging things back in until the fuse blew again. I thought, "I could have done that!" I suspect my mother thought the same thing.
Later we would repair things together. I'd tell her what to do and she'd do it because she was still stronger than I.
I could probably wire a whole house now, but my dreams of that have faded the older I get.

It's often easier to do it oneself than just calling around and being home when they come.

On 9/13/2015 5:40 PM, micky wrote:

It was a great learning experience though. It put you on the path to independence.

I remodeled two bathrooms in the past year or so and I found it much easier to write a check that to do most of the work. Arthritis has a way of doing that. Fortunately, the guys doing the work are reasonably priced. Ex son-in-law and his friend that does tile work. I paid half what I'd pay a regular contractor.
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 11:57:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Yes, what I've learned over 25 years of home ownership is that I'm actually pretty good a learning/fixing things. The problem is that I usually make my mistakes the first time through. After that I'm good, but I've made the mistakes on my house.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:09:20 -0400, dgk

That's why I volunteer to do things for others. To learn on their houses. Seriously, I've never tried something beyond my skills on someone else's property, any little mistake I made I undid within a few minutes.
It's the third time I do something that I'm likely to screw up.
dgk posted for all of us...

My opinion is bad work. I would call the agent that made the recommendation and complain. Emphasize that they made a bad referral and should be taken off their list. Also tell the agent you are leary of their referrals. The agent will probably be on the phone to the tile guy quickly; these referrals are a life blood to contractors.
--
Tekkie

I just posted a (long) explanation of the beginning of the disaster under a slightly different heading (something about Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. More on the Agent).
The agent was pretty blameless. I thought she had recommended them but she had just passed on an estimate that the sellers had received from someone they used, as part of the sales process.
dgk posted for all of us...

ion

rals

Ya know, we don't care any more... You royally bleeped it up both in transaction and posting, so just go away.
--
Tekkie