adhesive for tiling a basement

I am in the process of ripping up old smelly carpeting from the basement, which I figure to replace with ceramic tile. The basement is an informal space but I would like it to be livable, i.e., less moldy smelling. It has never flooded in 15 years, but tends to be a little humid, damp, whatever in spring and summer, with maybe a little seepage in the corners in the worst rains. I am planning to use the cheap big (1 ft. sq.) ceramic tiles. My question is whether to set the tiles with mastic or quickset. I am tiling over concrete that has paint on it in places. I lean toward mastic since I have used it before, it's simple to use, and I don't need this to be a "job for the ages." In fact if I need to take up some tiles later, not needing a jackhammer would be a plus. Is there any reason why the mastic would be unsuitable? Would it become a soggy moldy mess, whereas quickset would not? thanks, -- H

thinset on concrete for floors. mastic for walls on drywall. mastic also has an organic component, and may support mold if kept wet.
thinset is soft. you won't need a jackhammer to get tiles up, although a chipper would make it go easier and faster.

Thinset, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks. Is it tricky to get the hang of mixing and spreading it?

Thinset, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks. Is it tricky to get the hang of mixing and spreading it?
--
not if you can read the instructions on the back of the bag. it tells you
how to mix it, and what side spreader to use (which depends upon the size of
charlie wrote:

20" tiles. The tile floor meets terazzo at a couple of doorways and hallway. The terazzo is about 1/4" higher than most of the tile floor would have been....to meet the terazzo and have both level, the contractor just built the thinset higher and slanted the tiles at the meeting points. You can't see the slant, even knowing it is there. If there are drains, you might be able to work the thinset to build a gradual slant. Never done it myself.
If your basement is cold in the winter, it will definately be colder with the tiles. Just keep that in mind. You might consider vinyl tiles. Not as harsh on the feet in the winter. If you have good heat down there, then you have no problem