Additive for outside oil tank

I live in a home with oil heat and an outdoor oil tank. I have periodic problems with the oil line freezing and/or jelling. I've used various diesel additives in the tank with varrying results, generally you have to put in several times the recommended amount for the amount of oil in the tank for it to work.
My service company has an additive which is very effective that they call "hot oil". They sell the stuff for four dollars an ounce and only when they make a service call. They added four ounces to a half tank today and said I should be OK until the next time I get the tank filled.
I asked the service man if I can buy this stuff at retail, and they said they buy it in bulk and do not know of any way I can get this in small quantities. I have never seen anything of this nature at Home Depot or Lowes.
So, does anyone here know how I can obtain this stuff at a reasonable price in quantities a homeowner would want?
Thanks for your help.
Larry
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

It's likely sold at retail but under another name. That's one of the perqs of buying in bulk, they change the name and the label so you can charge extra.
I guess I'd look for something with high recommendations which is sold at retail, or in bulk, but not at 4 dollars and ounce.
You could try this: Body Slimming Gel Hot Beauty: Buy Online from Fishpond.co.nz

At work, our oil company adds it when they deliver. Ask your do to so too. Or, you can buy the stuff at Home Depot, Amazon, probably your local plumbing supply house too.

BTW, that's how some electronic store used to offer the guarantee, If you can get it for less anywhere, we'll give you twice the difference. Something like that. Well they couldn't get the same model cheaper anywhere else, they couldn't get it at all, because this retailer bought so many they could get their own model number, similar I suppose to the model number other retailers got, but still different. (I'm not sure how many "so many" was. Maybe manufacturers do this for medium sizedl retailers too.)
I somehow got on the mailing list of a place that sells android phones new for 50 dollars or so.
Quality versions of these things have a lot of features so it's hard to compare, but do you think they intentionally make models with fewer features, or do they take the rejects from a quality production line, put a new case on them and sell them cheaper.

I am not sure if it is the same product that your fuel oil supplier uses, but there are common additives used in diesel trucks for the same purpose during the winter. One popular brand is "HEET" and other manufacturers like Valvoline ("Pyroil diesel fuel treatment") and STP make similar products.
A little googling led me to http://www.fuelright.com/pages/products.html and their product in a 6 oz bottle recommended for 275 gallon tanks. Here's a link to the MSDS for "Fuel Right" http://www.fuelright.com/pdf/MSDS-Fuel_Right.pdf
and you can download an MSDS for the valvoline product from here: https://msds.ashland.com/msds-ext/msdsDownload.do?method=getMsdsDocKeys&hc=materialSearchHC&id=1
Looking at the composition info for both, they appear similar. If you can't find retail quantities of "Fuel Right" or someting similar, I think you will be OK using the truck products in reasonable quantities for your fuel tank.
On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:34:31 PM UTC-5, Larry Weil wrote:

It doesn't generally get too cold in Maryland, but we had occasional proble ms with the line freezing. I've used the additive but for several years now I have a heat tape wrapped around the line from where it exits the tank to where it enters the house, which seems to have solved the problem.
Paul
On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:34:31 PM UTC-5, Larry Weil wrote:

Google is your friend:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
That's one hit, I'm sure you can find more. Not sure if it's the same product, but they do call it hot oil.
On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:34:31 PM UTC-7, Larry Weil wrote:

Just order winter grade heating fuel and your problems will be over unless it really gets cold...say -40 F. or colder.
Before they make delivery in the fall phone and find out what grade they are handling. Summer weight will require the additive that you are asking about.
==