additional insulation

My home has R12 attic insulation laid in between the roof rafters. I'd like to add another layer of pink to top it up. Which direction is the second layer supposed to run? crossways (overlapping the first layer) or the same direction as the first layer? Thanks
Steve
yeosmyth wrote:

Cross, and that's what I should be doing, too.
Hi Steve,
The second layer of batts should be installed perpendicular to the first; installing them at 90 degrees allows you to cover the ceiling joists and thus minimize any thermal bridging.
My attic had just two inches of fibreglass (R6). I added R13 on top of this (which brought it to the top of the ceiling joists) and an additional R40 crossways. This cut ceiling heat losses by approximately 90 per cent.
Cheers, Paul

The way to do it is to run it parallel with the first layer, but, use some shears or a handiknife and plywood and cut one strip in half. You can start so the strips are offset and cover the joists. Eventually you will make up the space since you are on top of the joists. When you get within a couple of inches of the joist use one of the half strips to cover it up and then go back to the full size width. Doing it this way you will not have any of the joist wood exposed like you would at the joints where every perpendicular strip crosses all the joists. Hope I made my self understood and good luck, RW yeosmyth wrote:

I think the insulation manufactures state to go perpentdicular to the lower layer.
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
Get cellulose blown in. More "R" per inch, and it's fire resistant. I just had phase one of my insulation put in today. Cellulose in the walls also. And R-49 in the ceiling. (Kansas) Here's some good info:
www.centralfiber.com
--
Steve Barker