Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

Reply to
12oon

First, why would/do you need to add? There should be no need w/o a leak so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every year.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.

Reply to
12oon
12oon wrote: ...

Needless to say, that ain't right although if it is still small may limp by but I'd expect a catastrophic failure down the road at some time.

Just because "the pros" haven't added anything doesn't mean they shouldn't have done...

What make/age? -- the Water Furnace we had in TN had a 20 or 25 year warranty on the loop so I would have simply called the installer and said "fix it". Is this buried horizontal loop, deep/well loop, submerged pond/lake loop??? Who did the installation--these same folks or somebody else?

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb, You are giving out incorrect info. Most geothermal systems will require being re-pressurized after about 1 year. The tubing does actually expand slightly. They make a tool that has a needle type puncturing device along with a short piece of hose, guage and valve. You hook it up to the tap water and puncture the resealable valve on the Geo unit. It literally takes only a couple ounces to bring the pressure back up. After that one time, it shouldnt have to be done again unless there is a leak. If it is constantly being refilled each year you should consider repairing the leak or replacing the loop. I would also have the solution checked as they WILL FREEZE if not concentrated properly. The tubing is usually guaranteed for about 25 yrs but I doubt that the installer is going to warranty his labor that long. :-) Have fun Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote: ...

No, as you go on to say, as OP says, if the system needs re-filling every year, there's a problem...

The Water Furnace system in 10 years never needed re-pressurizing.

--

Reply to
dpb

replying to 12oon, Randy wrote: what PT port do you add the water IN or OUT

Reply to
Randy