adding vents to a garage

Hey everybody,

After an A/C inspection by our local utlity service I was advised to add one or two vents between the attic and the garage. I purchased two 12x6 return air grills and just wanted to make sure that where I plan to put them is okay.

If I'm facing into my garage, here's what I see, from left to right:

1) 2.5 feet of wall 2) 3 foot door which leads into the house 3) 0.5 feet of wall 4) an 8 foot alcove which contains the A/C unit, ducts, and the water heater 5) 1 foot of wall 6) 6 foot space containing the clothes washer and dryer 7) 2 feet of wall

several feet in front of the A/C unit is an attic access.

I wanted to put one of the vents in the ceiling in front of the door leading into the house, and the other vent in front of the dryer. I would equally space both vents from the wall adjacent to the house, and the left and right wall of the garage (so maybe about 2.5 to 3 feet or so)

Does this sound okay? Also what's the best way to install the vents? The attic is insulated, so I'll have to cut through this layer and then cut a hole in the garage ceiling... ?

Thanks!

Reply to
gin_g

It sounds like a serious fire code violation.

Reply to
H.Bunker

Why??

Reply to
Lou

I thought the same thing, as well as all the exhaust fumes from cars in the garage will get into the house. Vent the garage outdoors, and the house too if needed.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Are the recommendations in writing? What qualifications did the inspector have? Appliances gas or electric? Did they do a smoke test on the entire house to test for air leaks? Entire AC is in garage? WHY does he want vents from garage to attic?

Reply to
Norminn

Read about type "x" drywall. Basically, it's required between the garage and living space, with no breach or deficiencies, with a 1 hour fire rating.

Could you imagine a fire in the garage, how quickly the house would go up, if you had vents from one to the other? Holy smoly!

Reply to
H.Bunker

friends neighbor came home put car in garage, left for dinner with other couple who drove. came home to rubble. car had fire in garage which totaled home, all that remained useful was foundation, and it was beat.

insurance hassles etc took a year to resolve and then time to build replacement home.

Reply to
hallerb

The recommendations were from the local utility company from when I got the utilities turned on (just after I moved in). He told me that the previous owners must have "made the garage more airtight", so the AC has to work "harder" when it turns on. He then told me that that the AC could "breathe" better if there were some way for air to enter/ leave the garage. Then he advised me to put in the vents. The garage isn't 100% sealed, as there are some holes around the garage door. The ceiling of the garage has an attic access also... After turning on my utilities, and giving me the advice, he left. I didn't get anything in writing...

Should I attempt to do this myself, or is it something I shouldn't do at all?

Reply to
gin_g