Adding Two Fixed Wiindows - Advice Needed

We wish to add two small "fixed" picture windows (40 x 50 and 40 x 40) to the top floor of our 5 year old house in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR) near each of the corners.
Nothing fancy, just standard white vinyl "new construction" double pane to match the other windows. Existing walls have 2x6 studs at 24" spacing so we presume a standard 40 (48") width should fit by removing only one stud. Outer walls are cedar siding and each window will be located about 24" from an outer corner. Fortunately, there are no electrical wires, etc behind the cut-out locations.
Surprisingly, it seems like this type of project may be too small to get anyone to return our calls up here, so we are considering checking out Home Depot for buying the windows and having them also arrange for contractor installation.
Has anyone used their contractor installation services for this type of a project?
Also, any "guestimates" for typical material and labor costs for such a project would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ... Buck
I don't know much about carprentry, but it sure looks like when they remove a stud for a window they make the rest of the assembly 4 times stronger. There's a king stud, a double header, a jack stud, and God knows what else. Buy a book on it, do whatever it says and more.
Tim S.

with having Home Depot contracting one of their installers to do the job. BUT -- I'd first ask how they intend to do that sort of thing, because, well, studs help hold up your wall and there would have to be some new 2x4 framing work done to support the windows. You'd also want to make sure that whoever Depot contracts the job to pulls the proper building permits from the town.
Matter of fact, why not first check with your town's building department, especially if you live in a small(er) town? They often have a list of contractors who are licensed and bonded to do work in town, and they may have a reputable independent guy or two on the list that you're not aware of.
AJS
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:03:31 GMT, someone wrote:

An inspector's ofice should absolutely NOT be recommending or referring contractors. The opportunities/temptations for graft and corruption are huge, as is the question of whether an inspector would really fail work by his own recommended contractor.
I am not so naive as to think it is not done. In fact, I had one inspector say to me, "I see you're gonna need a roof, here, give these guys a call...." and he handed me his brother the roofer's business card. Betcha ALL the brother's jobs passed - even if they shouldn't have???
In most places in the US, anyone with a state license can do work in the town, so a list of licensed people wouldn't be mich help.
-v.
I understand that Home Depot installers aren't supposed to do any structural work. This would exclude them from this type of job. You will need to do framing. Header to carry the load of the removed stud and a sill plate for the window to sit on. Check with the a local lumber yard for a contractor recommendation. FWIW If studs are 24 OC than removing one leaves a 47 1/4 space. Close this in with 2 jack studs and your rough opening is more like 44"

Your going to have to add a header above the windows. The size of the header will depend on what is above the area. Since your close to a corner I would be thinking of a double 2x8. Then you need to add at least one more stud to the outside of the ones that the header attaches to again depending on loading. Either your going to cut a bigger hole inside or outside. Unless you want to play Tim Taylor I suggest that you hire a contractor.
I once decided to remove a wall in my kitchen. Took the bugger right out. A friend, a general contractor came over and took one look and said he had forgot something. About an hour later he shows up with jacks. The ceiling had sagged over an inch, seems I cut out a bearing wall. I do not remove anything any more with out "Uncle Jim's" eyeball on the project. I could have lost the whole roof and that end of the house.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:43:35 GMT, someone wrote:

misinformed, who thinks that an exterior wall structural job is so simple. I would fear that they would probably get all offended and think they are being ripped off if something they think is so easy, costs more than $1.98 and takes more than 1 morning. I also would not want to have to take the time to give them the eductation they so obviously need.
They actually sound like they think you just take out a stud and slip in the window! And they are saying that they expect that removing one stud when they are 24 inches ON CENTER would leave room for a 4 foot window?????
Nah, I wouldn't bother either.
-v.