Adding tile over aggregate style cement

Our back patio is constructed of 2x2' aggregate cement blocks. The surface isn't made up of those really big stones, but neither is it smooth. This patio has been in place for almost 14 years and thus is probably stable and will not shift.

My question is, what options do I have to lay tile over this instead? I hate the look of this cement and want to get rid of it. Do I have to completely pull it out and put in a smooth concrete patio first? Can I just use leveling mud and put hardiboard backerboard over the concrete? Can I lay a thin layer of smooth concrete over the existing pieces? Obviously I don't want the tile that I put down to crack shortly after this project.

Thank you!

-Rex

Reply to
Rex Kerr

Not really an answer to your question, but you should give some thought to what kind of tile you put down on a patio. When you combine too slick a finish, rain, and rubber-sole flip-flops, you can end up with a skating rink. DAMHIKT.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Rex Kerr wrote on 31 Oct 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

How about concrete pavers? You could put down a thin sand layer with the thin pavers on top. You can use the thick pavers if you have enough door clearance. I just watched a crew put pavers in a new concrete median using a very thin sand layer over the concrete.

Reply to
Steve

Perhaps, though they seem to get messy (shift over time, etc) and aren't as attractive as real tile. Also, I only have about four inches of clearance, so a 2" thick paver plus sand would bring the surface up quite close to the door. That actually brings up another question... how much clearance does one need to prevent rain intrusion?

Reply to
Rex Kerr