Adding Surcharges to Credit Card Purchases

Taxation without representation. Amazing what people will give up for convenience and some perceived safety. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 10/25/2013 12:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Turns out it is in US, too...see other subthread where updated. Conditions different than for CCs, but if one reports timely then it is covered.

Reply to
dpb

Was the PIN used? I *just* happened to me but the PIN wasn't used, so the charges were processed through the VISA system. No problem, it was covered (other than the BS of getting a new card).

Reply to
krw

I think the founding fathers would weep, if they could see the level of federal management of every thing in our lives.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't know but the card was stolen so probably not a PIN. It was swiped at a WalMart and a gas station. My dealing was with my bank so if MC was involved they did so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, that's the normal way of doing things, though you could go directly to MC if your bank wasn't cooperative. I just went through the same. The fact is that MC (VISA, in my case) was the one backing the transaction. If the PIN was used, the CCC wouldn't be involved and your bank may have treated it differently since it was their network. The rules are completely different.

Reply to
krw

So it's not the debit card rules in play from the ETFA but the CC rules anyway...

So, no, I'm not surprised if it was reported promptly which apparently it was since it was next day. :)

But, see other sidebar--I hadn't followed the rules on debit cards as closely as should. Doesn't sound like there's anything on the card beyond being in compliance as far as the funds liability is there? The other amenities are competitive features...

Reply to
dpb

The government has always been able to shut off the money -- declaring "bank holidays" during the 1929 depression, for example. See:

If you don't like the government's money, switch to bitcoin. It's completely uncontrolled.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Laws state the minimum they have to do, but for debit cards to be accepted, they have to keep pace with the competition.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski