Adding sink, do I need to re-vent?

I am adding a basement utility sink 3.5 feet from the basement stack. How far from the stack would a re-vent be needed to be in compliance with the US Plumbing code? If not needed by local code, what would be gained by re-venting this sink? I plan to use this sink to drain a washing machine.

If the new sink is on the uphill side of the stack, you can probably just use an air admittance valve. http://www.studor.com/index2.htm

Washing machines often have quite aggressive pump discharges. A combination of that and a load of suds could overpower some sink configurations. Code or not, a good vent looks like a way to avoid future problems. Cheap insurance. really.
Joe