adding sand to interior paint

I want to paint my LR walls with a sand textured wall paint. I found a product through Behr but the application procedure and cost are not what I had in mind. I have heard of people that just added bagged sand to wall paint and rolled it, but want more advice before trying. Please help!
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net schrieb:

I'm not sure that plain sand is fine enough.
I've used a product made by US Gypsum, Sheetrock brand, Sand Finish Paint Additive (thats its name, really). It comes in an 8 oz plastic tub and its basically really fine sand.
Should do what you want if you can find it. I bought mine at the local hardware store.
It seems to thicken the paint somewhat when added and cleaning up the splatters is a mess.
dickm
On 24 Nov 2006 14:54:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Texturing is very difficult to remove and many people dislike it.

I have used fine contractors sand in regular paint.
My application was for a non slip patio at a Nursing home, I mixed the sand into the paint and then just rolled it on. Worked great, and I am sure they are still using my idea to this day.
Searcher

I used a fine paint sand on room walls once. The major issue was that you needed to mix it constantly or the texture is irregular.
Bob
On 24 Nov 2006 14:54:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Check with George Washington. That's how he painted the house at Mount Vernon. He wanted it to look like stone instead of wood.
No kidding.
mm wrote:

. Thought he had slaves to do that. Or have I mentioned the wrong guy?

I think he actually had Martha do this. The slaves did other things.
This is a tried and proven method to accomplish what you seek. I learned this from an old painter when attempting to tie new drywall surfaces to old sand-finish plaster walls. At first I thought he was nuts, but the proof is in the execution.
1 cup of cornmeal to a gallon of paint.
You need to concentrate your time and effort getting a light and even texture on the wall. Fantastic blend when done correctly.
___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Normally I wouldn't recommend anything that has anything to do with Behr because their paint is an insult to the industry, but their suede texture works well. The application process sounds complicated, but really it's just making big overlapping X's with a paintbrush. The cost isn't much, and you can even get one of the HD employees to mix it up for you.
Don't use just any old sand; it won't look as good and you may have some difficulty getting the ratio right.