Adding Room over Garage

Brain storm #837... adding a room over the garage without having to disturb original house?

Extended the roof to avoid any valleys for leakage and add a little storage. Left original roof in place to avoid any work inside the original structure. Can always open it up later.

Stairs would be along the back wall where there is storage now and would still leave enough room for 2 cars.

What do you fellers think?

Guv Bob

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:48:06 -0800, "Guv Bob" wrote in

I like it. Go for it.

Reply to
CRNG

Can the foundation of the garage support a second story? Unlikely the garage structure can, so it will require beefing up. The lower storage space is small and has a sharply sloping floor from the remaining existing roof, which I would think would make it almost unusable. The upper one could be OK, depending on how much room there is. Since you're following the existing roof, the new room height is fixed. What is it? Up to code?

Reply to
trader_4

disturb original house?

storage. Left original roof in place to avoid any work inside the original structure. Can always open it up later.

would still leave enough room for 2 cars.

remaining existing roof, which I would think would make it almost unusable.

Yes, garage would definitely need more support. The main thought about continuing the roof upward was to avoid any places for rain water to back up and maybe get some extra storage up top. The side storage would probably end up being cut open for easier access to the main attic.

Reply to
Guv Bob

More sketches. 2nd one probably most practical.

First choice - room with loft and existing 12/4 roof extended

Same, but with open ceiling

Same, but with lower ceiling

Basic room over the garage

One of these days....

Guv Bob

One very important thing I'd consider is how the new much larger roof is going to look from the street. Somehow I think one continuous long roof isn't going to look very good. There are probably online tools or if not design tool packages you can buy for not too much money to let you visualize what it will look like. And sometimes paying an architect for at least some ideas of what the best way to proceed, is it feasible, etc might not be a bad idea either. Spending some money upfront might result in a big difference in property value.

Reply to
trader_4

It's very unlikely that the ceiling joists in the garage are large enough to support a second story.

Reply to
jamesgang

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

ugh to support a second story.

No matter what you use for a roof you need to carry roof loads to the groun d via walls. Any 2nd story wall supporting roof needs to be sitting on top of a first floor wall. And if the house is more than 20-30 years old you should also have someone confirm your foundation can carry the load.

Reply to
jamesgang

disturb original house?

storage. Left original roof in place to avoid any work inside the original structure. Can always open it up later.

would still leave enough room for 2 cars.

enough to support a second story.

Yes, you're right.

Reply to
Guv Bob

enough to support a second story.

Definitely no tile roof for me!

Reply to
Guv Bob

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

nough to support a second story.

und via walls. Any 2nd story wall supporting roof needs to be sitting on t op of a first floor wall. And if the house is more than 20-30 years old yo u should also have someone confirm your foundation can carry the load.

That sounds vaguely familiar.... From my post two days ago: