Adding pressure alanced shower valve.

Don't have one in the shower and after a hot experience or two, my wife insists that I replace the old style with a pressure balanced model.
I can cut and solder copper pipe pretty well, but is replacing the valve inside a shower wall a job for a plumber?
There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the other side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.
I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I could add a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on purpose.

honestly its a big job, with two baths back to back i would hire a plumber. me and my neighbor just replaced mine, it took a good 10 hours, and lots of hassles. back side inside a closet, inconvenient but doable
much better than pressure balance is pressure temperature with flow control. bought a delta, no matter what it holds temperature within 3 degrees.
money well spent.
a experienced person should be able to remove the tiile with minimum breakage, could you steal some from say under a sink for repairs?
agree with that for sure, Delta does make a large chrome plate to cover the hole you will need to replace it though, even has a template so the hole is the correct size and the plate will cover it, the plate attaches to the fixture with 2 long stailess screws
wrote:

honestly its a big job, with two baths back to back i would hire a plumber. me and my neighbor just replaced mine, it took a good 10 hours, and lots of hassles. back side inside a closet, inconvenient but doable
much better than pressure balance is pressure temperature with flow control. bought a delta, no matter what it holds temperature within 3 degrees.
money well spent.
a experienced person should be able to remove the tiile with minimum breakage, could you steal some from say under a sink for repairs?

Getting to the valve is the hard part. Actual replacement takes a few minutes. If you are comfortable removing the tiles, then go for it. I hung a mirror on the wall where I had to cut it out.

do note if new valve replaces old 3 handle valve things may not line up well, and valve must be solidly anchored you cant depend on tile wall to support valve without another mount spot
RedOne77 wrote:

A couple of years ago on Ask This Old House they did that. They used a valve that came with a large cover plate to cover the hole you had to cut in the tile.
Bill Gill

tile can be removed without breaking, i have done that myself.