Adding On to a Single Gang Electrical Box

Ok, here's the scenario: The dining room in my circa 1935 home has a single lightswitch wired to an overhead chandelier. The chandelier is on its own 20A breaker. I want to add a few low voltage recessed lights to the room and, because they are easily reached and there is ample capacity, it makes the most sense to tie into the power line going to the chandelier.

The wall switch for the chandelier is in a metal single gang box that is nailed to a doorframe stud. It would be quite easy to cut an opening in the wall immediately adjacent to this box and install a plastic single gang remodeling box. Is there a way to do this such that a double gang wallplate can be used over the two adjacent switches to give a neater appearance? If possible, I would like to avoid the removal of good plaster that would be required to take out the existing box and replace it with one double gang box.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ron K.

Reply to
Ronny K

I haven't seen what you are looking for; but many boxes are expandable. Check that yours isn't. Alternately, you could put the new box a few inchs away.

Reply to
Toller

Simplest way to know is to go to Home Depot, hold a metal single gang box and a metal or plastic single side-by side and SEE if a double gang wall plate works..

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Two thoughts:

1) I'm quite sure I've seen (at home improvement stores) a bracket designed to add a metal box to the side of another one. Or, perhaps my ancient home had a box extended that way. But I *know* I've seen it somewhere. Perhaps it's worth a look at Home Despot, in all the little plastic bags you can't figure out without actually touching them.

2) Either way, you're going to cut some plaster adjacent to the old box. Another 1/2" around the old one is nothing compared to what you'll remove for the new one. Why not just replace the whole box, and even go with a box larger than you'll need? You know you may want it later. If you're planning on having two switches, use a 3-switch box, and get a plate with a blank spot on one side. At worst, it'll give you more space for joining wires.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes you have mostly for low voltage, not 120v. At least the ones I have seen.

2 boxes next to each other will not work on single plate unless you get one custom made....$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Yes I have seen custom plates made. Took for ever

Best thing to do is cut out the old box install a new 2 gang remodel or old work box and away you go. If you careful and go slow this is pretty easy to do. Time consuming but not hard. If you make small blunders in the wall there are always jumbo plates..

Reply to
SQLit

There are double and triple switches to fit in a single gang box. They mount in a vertical row and operate side to side. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Can you take the side off the existing box and stack on another section? Metal "gang" boxes are stackable.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If his old house is like mine, he's got old wires which, if treated gently, are safe. But, when manhandled because of a crowded box, they become a problem.

Reply to
Doug Kanter