Years ago in an EE lab my lab partner was working on the 120 VAC power
section of our project. All of a sudden, I hear BANG, my partner jumps
out of his seat, and the entire bench goes dead. Turned out the guy
had INTENTIONALLY placed a penny between the bare 120V leads. The
current had blown two divots in the penny before tripping the breaker.
"I thought it would just warm up the penny a little." he murmured.
Come to think of it, I didn't see him around the EE department much
I've tried to follow the "One arm behind my back" adage when working
around dangerous voltages, and I'm still around, so I guess it works. I
don't think I've ever gotten a shock through my chest, but I've had some
pretty good ones through one hand.
The "shock" I've never forgotten was received when I was doing TV repair
as a kid and was schlepping a 19" B&W TV chassis down a flight of stairs
from a customer's second floor apartment. I'd forgotten to discharge the
multi KV high voltage stored in the capacitance of the CRT. Somehow,
part of me got zapped by that voltage and the chassis flew out of my
arms and down the stairs, with the CRT imploding en route. The boss had
to buy the customer a new TV, and after that experience I always treated
CRTs like they were running chainsaws. <G>
But, I started playing with electricity back in the era when electronics
were all vacuum toob stuff, where ac and dc voltages in the 150 to 1000
volt range abounded. Things got quite a bit "safer" when solid state
circuits took over. Nowadays sticking your fingers into "live" stuff is
more likely to damage the equipment (through static electric discharges)
than hurt you.
Thanks for the mammaries...
That depends on your skill level, and where you live. The simple fact th at
you're asking on a world wide news group suggests you don't have the skill.
If it were me, I woulda just run the circuit and not bothered to ask.
My advice: Hire an electrician.
Buy the "wiring 123" book at home depot, read the entire thing,
Check with your local town hall about where, how, and if you should
get a permit, and how much it will cost, and then check back if
you have any more questions.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.