Adding new circuit to a panel.

Hi Folks, I've upgraded my electrical service to a 200 amp circuit breaker system. I would like to add another circuit for some additional florescent lights in my basement. I have several open slots for new breaker's in the panel. My question is can I buy a new circuit breaker and install into an open slot then run a new line to the lights ? or do I need a professional to install new circuit's.

Thanks Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

Should be no problem with DIY.

Just remember to run the lines before hooking into the panel

--=20 PDQ

-- "Platebanger" wrote in message = news:Ay4mf.6163$Yh2.2686@trndny01... | Hi Folks, I've upgraded my electrical service to a 200 amp circuit = breaker=20 | system. I would like to add another circuit for some additional = florescent=20 | lights in my basement. I have several open slots for new breaker's in = the=20 | panel. My question is can I buy a new circuit breaker and install into = an=20 | open slot then run a new line to the lights ? or do I need a = professional to=20 | install new circuit's. |=20 | Thanks | Dick |=20 |

Reply to
PDQ

How would you like your rhetorical question answered? You could do either!!!

Reply to
RBM

Have you ever done any electrical wiring before? Do you mind working around electricity? Does the possibility of starting a fire or killing someone scare you?

I'm thinking that if you have to ask this question, then you should be calling in a professional to do the work.

Reply to
John Grabowski

If you have to ask, then yes you need a professional.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Geez I hope you are trolling!

Reply to
Toller

Just do it. I know what you mean.

However, that large switch at the top, it's the "Main Disconnect". I am going to suggest that you throw that in whatever the "off" position is before you bring your cable down to the new breaker.

Believe me, I learned that the hard way!

(And no, it didn't feel any different coming down the main as it does at any other time. Although, I'm pretty sure I was getting 240 volts, not 120!)

Reply to
ng_reader

And exactly how could you get 240?

Reply to
Toller

If you do attempt this for safety wear sneakers, leather gloves, and eye protection. The last is important because if you short something it may throw molten metal at you.

Reply to
Jeff

By touching both sides of the mains, of course.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

And those two big cables that attach to lugs at the top of the breaker panel? Stay away from 'em. They could give you a bad day, even with the main breaker off. If you have a disconnect outside the house, turning it off would reduce your chances of having a very bad outcome.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

John Grabowski wrote:

What ?? Like are we talking rocket science here?

A little education via the public library and half a brain in the head should be all that's needed for something like that.

-Felder

Reply to
felderbush001

Well yeh, but it would be hard to do that except on purpose.

Reply to
Toller

Yes, the dangerous part about electricity is that at line voltage levels you can't see, hear or smell it. And if you chance to feel it, it may just bite you or make you jump enough to bash yourself on something sharp.

Then again, I still remember the words of a middle aged Brit prof back in my college daze circa 1954 who tought a course I was taking called "Rotating Machinery" (All about electric motors, generators and stuff like that.) We were working with three phase 440 volt equipment when he told us, "You smen will never be good electrical engineers until you learn to 'take' a shock!"

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I've been surprised to discover how innocuous 120V is -- just an unpleasant tingling, aside from the initial contact which is moot anyway if a screwdriver does the job. What is disturbing is the thought that you are flirting with death despite the unremarkable sensation.

That scares up the question: How many shocks have you electrician (and EE) types encountered in your careers? And how many arm-to-arm (i.e. across the heart) shocks, which seem inevitable given the ease of using some conducting metallic box with the non-working arm to give support?

Reply to
chocolatemalt

I found this link. Installing A Circuit Breaker

Thanks all Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

I believe I read that it only takes 40 volts to stop the heart.

Reply to
PanHandler

I was changing an outdoor light bulb about 5 feet off the ground on my previous house. It was summer and I was barefoot -- yeah should have known better. Previous owner had confused black and white. He had the switch break the white lead and had the black wired to the screw thread part of the light socket. Moisture on the bulb provided a connection from the threads to me. Afterwards had to redo a bunch of his electrical work. First thing I learned about wiring was BLACK to BRASS.

At work saw the result of someone accidentally dropping a screw driver across a 50A circuit -- lots of splattered metal no one hurt. I am sure lots of folks have other stories. Personally prefer electrical work to using a chain saw, especially up in a tree.

Reply to
Jeff

That depends on your skill level, and where you live. The simple fact th at you're asking on a world wide news group suggests you don't have the skill.

If it were me, I woulda just run the circuit and not bothered to ask.

My advice: Hire an electrician.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many moons ago while I was an EE student I was in a lab which had 3 phase 440 coming out to a test panel. The panel had U shaped channels of thick sheet metal that was HOT and the wires we connected to them were half inch brass rods with an insulated handle and a slot that went on to the panel terminals. Some of the wires were heavy wire (probably #8 or 10 ISTR), and some were #16 that were intended to connect to instruments.

Not the safest arrangement, but part of the course was to teach us respect for the power. The breakers protecting these panels were large, probably 50-100 amps.

One day in lab I was setting up the experiment de jure there was a BRIGHT flash and a LOUD bang from behind me. I turned around and there was a cloud of smoke rising from a bench and the student clawing for the breakers (which had not tripped). This guy had clipped a length of the #16 wire across a 440 live circut. All that was left was the two end clips.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg