Adding fan only to Hot air heating system.

Hi we have a oil fired hot air system that when you turn up the thermostat the heat blows thru the vents. What I would like to do is replace the existing thermostat with one that has a fan only setting as well. Is the wiring for this complicated ? Are there any diagrams available ?

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Unless the furnace already has a Fan relay (24V relay), you can't do it without substantial re-wiring of the furnace controls.

If it was built as "ready for air conditioning" it will have a relay. Check the diagram on the unit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Can be.

I don't know.

Many heat only furnace switch the fan with a fan limit switch. You may need to put in an auxiliary relay. I did a system one time, we added AC to a house with a heat only furnace. I had to do some rewiring to get the fan to come on with the AC.

Since you have to ask the question, you probably don't presently ahve the skills.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon