Adding extra ground/neutral buss bar in electrical panel or add sub-panel?

Page 4 of 5
my realtor said at the time he had to sell the home twice, initially then after inspection.......

Which has precisely what to do with anything that's been discussed here?
<continuous boggle>
On Apr 2, 7:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Issues even minor ones that come up on home inspection can and do kill sales......
Often when your selling the goal is to sell and move on to whatever you were planning to do....
So buyer signs with the ever present inspection clause, home inspector works hard to find even minor stuff to justify their fee.
Buyer gets a long list of issues and gets scared off.
Realtor must sell home again.....

Yours? I would believe that. You make *everything* an act of Congress.

Wow! Who wudda thunk.

Capt. Obvious strikes again.

You didn't answer the question.

if everyone who owned a home maintained it properly and didnt attempt to cover up issues, home inspection would be a minor industry.
my friend whos home is a wreck smiles and claims its top notch and currently expects to get top price at sales time........
that why buyers and sellers have zero trust these days......

Complete bullshit.

Your point being? ..that you run around with idiots? That's hardly a revelation.

Bullshit. "Trust but verify."
You still haven't answered the question and it's still pertinent.
On Apr 3, 6:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

hey fred, take a chill pill.......

Hey, kathy, why don't you answer the simple question? It's *still* relevant.
On 4/1/2013 1:50 PM, bob haller wrote:

Since other have shown that is bullshit, apparently it only is used in contracts for houses you sell. Your ignorance in electrical areas apparently applies to other trades as well, and buyers must be protected.

Simply absurd! I've done the work four times (three of my houses and my MIL's), now. Just finished the last one Friday, in fact. <whew!>

Seems he's not *that* good of a friend, eh?

What's any of this got to do with your absurd claims?
I have always appreciated downhome country wisdom. Especially when I have to adjust a piece of equipment by a few microfleems. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Bob, your story of the principal and her asinine attitude reminds me of several instance of bizarre demands I've encountered over the years and the actions I've had to take to satisfy the goofballs to let them go about they're life blissfully unaware that they had been bamboozled. I had a partner in a business where we were building sound systems, amps and speakers. The guy was a bit bonkers but who isn't so I tried to use his talents that weren't too far out in space. He insisted on setting the bass and treble controls up one notch past the center on his amp that we were using to test the rather large speakers we were building, claiming he could hear hear the difference. If I ever set the controls to the center, he became angry and set them back to one notch higher. So rather than argue anymore, I set the controls to center, removed the knobs and put them back on so they showed the controls were set one notch above center. When he came by and saw that I was operating the amp with the controls at his preferred setting, the smug look on his face had me laughing internally since he never knew what I had done.... Many years ago, an instructor I had in a course for broadcast engineering gave me a word that I still use which describes a mythical electronic/electric/mechanical device which does not exist and never will, the word is "Framistan". When I've had to deal with someone who has no technical knowledge and is a difficult person to deal with who demands to be told exactly whats wrong with a piece of equipment rather than accepting the explanation that it's broken, I tell them it has a defective Framistan and that my supplier is trying to locate one. If the unpleasant person demands to know what a Framistan is, I go on to explain that it's a quantum resonance device named after the unusual metallic element the device is made with found only in the region of Framistan located in a very hard to access and difficult to mine area between Afghanistan and Pakistan. The substance requires special handling and UPS and FedEx have a very hard time getting in and out of Framistan so even though each device requires a tiny amount of the element, it's very expensive due to the great difficulty obtaining it. If that doesn't satisfy them I finally explain that they will die if they do not walk away from me immediately. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:25:00 -0400, "John Grabowski"

Aw come on, you know a 200a will use more power ;-)

after doing a service upgrade. Then there was this elderly lady that believed electricity would leak out of the socket if you removed the bulb.

I have two 150s. Should I change them both to 200s? <boggle>

the money to upgrade. Some of the 150's I've seen, only needed to be 100 amp, so I suppose the installers were doing a "better" job at the time

I wouldn't in any case. ;-) I'm sure the two service panels are there because of the two heat pumps. Yeah, I'd probably go for two 200s, were I doing the work but it's enough. I'm lucky they put in two 30 position panels. I've already added eight circuits and only have ten slots left. I'll start adding tandems so I don't run out of slots and don't have to put in a sub. Wouldn't want to scare the nutball Haller.
BTW, "at the time" = 2007.

Just for comparison purposes, what would you say is the typical cost of:
A - Adding a subpanel to the existing 150 panel
B - Putting in a new 200 amp panel, if the meter/service can support it.
C - Putting in a new 200 amp panel including new service from the street, say 75 ft drop.....
On 3/31/2013 1:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

years I have not done service upgrades, so I have no idea of the current pricing in my area let alone NJ. I could install a 12-16 circuit sub panel with 100 amp main for $4-$500
In my area you would pretty much not touch the overhead drop in a service upgrade, but do have to replace the standpipe conductors, meter box, service entrance conductors, main breaker panel, and grounding electrode system. The last price numbers I've heard for a garden variety 200 amp overhead service upgrade, was in the $2500 range. John Grabowski would be able to give you much better details, being from NJ, and he probably still does them.

Thanks for the info. I'm not actually in need of one. I was just curious as to the relative price. Bob H was making the case that you should do the upgrade and panel replacement, instead of adding a subpanel. I was just curious in general how much the difference in cost would be. Your numbers are about what I was guessing, meaning there is a substantial difference.
On 3/31/2013 6:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Well, BobH is just nutz--he has these fixations that are totally unreasonable and all the evidence to the contrary insists on continuing to spread FUD... :(