adding another V220 outlet

Hi, My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel. I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.
Do I have enough power to install another 30 Amp outlet?
Thanks for you help
Aldo Brooklyn, NY
On 6/4/2008 9:49 AM abarone300 spake thus:

Can you do arithmetic?
100 -30 -15 -15 ------ not zero
(I used 15 amps for you lights just for simplicty's sake). Obviously, you have power left over.
Keep in mind that the sum of breakers in your panel *can* exceed the total capacity of the panel* *if* not all devices are used at the same time (the most likely case).
* Remember, as pointed out numerous places here, that the capacity of the panel *isn't* the capacity of the main breakers or even what's printed on the panel: it's the capacity of the wires feeding the panel.
conversation with the average voter.

No it isn't.
The capacity of the panel is whichever of those three numbers is the smallest.
On 6/4/2008 2:14 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

Yes, I stand (sit, actually) corrected.
conversation with the average voter.
Let's hope those two 15 AMP breakers are connected so when one trips the other is tripped.
Note: you don't have 30 amp total. Those two 15 amp breakers are supplying one 15 amp 240V circuit. The voltage doubles and the power doubles, but the amps remain the same.
It certainly sounds like you have the capacity for another 30 amp circuit. There may be an issue of how many circuits you can pull from the panel, but I would be surprised if it would not handle the additional circuit.

Do you really mean neon or are they florescent?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Thanks, I meant florescent...

That depends, judging from what you've written, it's clear that you really don't know what you have. If you believe that two 15 amp breakers gives you a 30 amp circuit, you would probably believe that two 50 amp breakers gives you a 100 amp circuit. Having a 100 amp panel, says nothing for the size of the feeder it's connected to, so the answer to your question, given the information that you've supplied, is that you may or may not have enough power to add a 30 amp outlet

Dear RBM
You are expert, I am not. I do not know what I have, that is why I'm asking! I do realize that some people on this forum want to help. Others, like you not so much! Thanks anyhow

Dear RBM
You are expert, I am not. I do not know what I have, that is why I'm asking! I do realize that some people on this forum want to help. Others, like you not so much! Thanks anyhow
Dear Aldo, until you are able to articulate your situation properly, there is no one at this or any other group, that will be able to help you
In article <5a02e4d9-0a5b-4dc4-9967-8745405df139

posting your question, you would realize that RBM is one of the very most helpful people here when it comes to answering electrical questions.
And he's right. You haven't given enough information to provide a meaningful answer to your question. As I noted in another post in this thread, the capacity of your panel is the rating of the main breakers, OR the rating of the panel itself, OR the rating of the wires feeding the panel -- whichever of the three is smallest. So far, the only information you've provided is the rating of the main breakers.
When you refer to a "V220" circuit using two 15A breakers as "30 amp total" you show that you don't understand electricity well enough to be messing around with this stuff yourself -- so the correct answer to your questions is "Call an electrician."

David,
No need to be abusive, if I wanted that I would have called my ex wife! By the way, you forgot to add the lighting, It does stay on when I use my tools...
You have enough to run a whole house!