Adding air to a well tank - HOW MUCH?

I have a well tank with bladder. I recall something about the amount needs to be 2 lbs more or is it 2 lbs less than the turn ON switch setting. Which is it? My switch turns on at 31 and off at 48. The pump is cycling constantly when I turn on the water, so the air pressure must be way off. Just to fill the toilet tank, the pump goes on and off at least 4 times, and that's like 5 gallons or so.
Harry
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

The cycling indicates the tank is almost waterlogged. There's almost surely a small leak in the bladder. Best you can do is to drain it completely and start over again. If it isn't too big a leak and there isn't too much water on the bubble side, it'll function ok again for a while, but a new tank is in your (relatively near) future in all likelihood.
It should be 2 lb below when empty.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 1, 6:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

In addition to what dpb said:
Fix it quick. Your pump is in the process of being destroyed. Short cycling is extremely hard on pumps.
Adding more air to the tank will be a temporary fix that will have to be done every few months. A new bladder tank is not a budget buster and installation is simple if you are comforatable with plumbing and wiring.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Harry K wrote: ...

Good point--
One thing you can try if you can do w/o water for several hours -- when you drain the water side, pressurize the bladder side to several pounds over setpoint value -- say +5 and let sit w/. You may be able to force some of the water back across the barrier but you don't want to put a whole lot of extra pressure on it. This works far better w/ a diaphragm design (which I have) rather than a bladder, but it may still help some.
✖
On Jan 1, 6:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

I didn't see it mentioned and just in case:
Proper way to add air. Turn off power to pump, drain tank, add air, turn power back on.
You may have a 'low pressure cut-off' circuity in the pressure switch, if so, you have to hold in a button, or a switch that is on the pressure switch until the pressure builds past the 'cut-in' point when you turn the power back on. Haryr K
Add pictures here
✖