Adding air to a well tank - HOW MUCH?

I have a well tank with bladder. I recall something about the amount needs to be 2 lbs more or is it 2 lbs less than the turn ON switch setting. Which is it? My switch turns on at 31 and off at 48. The pump is cycling constantly when I turn on the water, so the air pressure must be way off. Just to fill the toilet tank, the pump goes on and off at least 4 times, and that's like 5 gallons or so.

Harry

Reply to
hsullivan

The cycling indicates the tank is almost waterlogged. There's almost surely a small leak in the bladder. Best you can do is to drain it completely and start over again. If it isn't too big a leak and there isn't too much water on the bubble side, it'll function ok again for a while, but a new tank is in your (relatively near) future in all likelihood.

It should be 2 lb below when empty.

Reply to
dpb

Fix it quick. Your pump is in the process of being destroyed. Short cycling is extremely hard on pumps.

Adding more air to the tank will be a temporary fix that will have to be done every few months. A new bladder tank is not a budget buster and installation is simple if you are comforatable with plumbing and wiring.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Harry K wrote: ...

Good point--

One thing you can try if you can do w/o water for several hours -- when you drain the water side, pressurize the bladder side to several pounds over setpoint value -- say +5 and let sit w/. You may be able to force some of the water back across the barrier but you don't want to put a whole lot of extra pressure on it. This works far better w/ a diaphragm design (which I have) rather than a bladder, but it may still help some.

--

Reply to
dpb

I didn't see it mentioned and just in case:

Proper way to add air. Turn off power to pump, drain tank, add air, turn power back on.

You may have a 'low pressure cut-off' circuity in the pressure switch, if so, you have to hold in a button, or a switch that is on the pressure switch until the pressure builds past the 'cut-in' point when you turn the power back on. Haryr K

Reply to
Harry K