Adding a wood stove in this set up possible?

I grew up with a wood stove. I wondered if adding a stove to my house would help out with my propane cost in the winter. I have als heard that some of these can heat your hot water. I would love an outdoor unit but they are out of my proce range. I have a pre fab type fireplace but no massonary chimnay. WOuld it be possible to mount a stove flush in this spot? I know I will have to replace my current chimney pipe with class A chimney. Can I do this from the top, pulling the old pipe up and out and installing the new that way? Is there a way to mount a stove in my current openign flush after taking the insert out and making it look and work right? (AAnd be safe). Would there be a way to distrubute the heat from the stove to the back end of the house where the bedrooms are? Maybe installing another return register in the living room and running the central air unit's fan? I appreciate any advice and help. Here is a copy of a video of my current set up.
Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSCJunbavM

Some communities are outlawing the outdoor stoves because of pollution issues.
I have a pre fab type

Depends on what you have. The video was useless. Thee are wood burning inserts that may do wh at you need. Have you visted any stove shops? Take some photos with you and you'll get better responses.

The AC fan may help, but you usually need more of a boost. A 12" box fan hung in the doorway to the hall would help. It would move the volume you need. The AC returns are on the floor but the heat is on the top. It may help, but I don't think it will give you all you need.
Are you able to get free wood? If you have to buy cordwood, the price is usually too high to make mush savings in oil or propane. I've not bothered with wood for the past ten years and do much better with a more efficient oil boiler. It is also easier to push buttons on a thermostat than to haul in wood. Check carefully before you invest.

Why not replace the prefab fireplace with a pre-fab fireplace unit that has a heatolator built into the fireplace. I can heat a whole house with our heatolator unit.
On 4/13/2011 10:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think all of the communities did that around here. Unfortunately the cheepo units that belched acrid smoke ruined it for everyone. Some of those units were nothing but a firebox made from steel plate wrapped with a coil with no firebrick and non-induced draft. You stuffed it full of wood and when your heat demand was satisfied a damper closed. When you called for heat it belched thick smoke for a long time until it heated up.
I went to a show with a friend and there are some well designed versions that are so well thought out that you wouldn't even know what fuel they use from the smell. He was interested in getting one but all are banned where he lives.

There's just so much available out there today that it is overwhelming. One size does not fit all, and for what you want to do, you really need to call in a pro, even if it is to get a free bid, and to pick his brain for just as long as you can keep him there answering questions. Learn all you can before picking a system and forking over $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
You could find an insert that would fit your current opening. You may have to have one built. You can get a Heatalator that will pull in room air and heat it and return it hot to the room. You can buy a regular wood stove. You can buy a stove that has a double thickness wall pipe that takes in combustion air, and puts out burned air through the two different diameter pipes. You can do a fireplace that requires room air for combustion and looks pretty and sucks all the warm air in the room up the chimney and out, net gain zero or minus.
No one here can tell you exactly and safely what it is you need and what to get. Be cautious of anyone who does this. What worked in their house may be a disaster in yours.
This IS rocket surgery, and there are a lot of variables that if not followed can cause bad stuff in your household. A friend of mine's house burned down because they routed the exhaust pipe through a framed enclosure, and it got hot, and poof! A three story house went up. Another went up due to exhaust pipe overheating, they rebuilt a fantastic 3 story copper clad beautiful home, and POOF, it went up, too.
Give this project the time and attention it deserves. This is something that could potentially kill everyone in the house, and you want it done RIGHT!
You can go anywhere from a freestanding wood stove to an insert to a Heatalator to a pellet stove. You're talking about something like HVAC where calculations must be done for the volume you want to heat.
Do it once, do it right.
Good luck.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

There is no way you can pull the old chimney out of a framed enclosure from above and replace it with a class A chimney unless you are strong as Hercules and are able to shinny down the outside of the chimney to remove the screws joining the sections and do the reverse to install the class A, which by the way, get heavy when a couple of segments are joined together.