Adding a phone jack?

My father has a sloow dialup connection, about 33K. His modem is connect to the phone line via an RJ11 line about 17 ft long.

The RJ11 connection is through a circa 1950 plug type jack in the next bedroom over.

Two questions:

1: Is the length of the RJ11 line impacting connection speed?

2: Would taking a real line cord from the old block into the other bedroom speed up his connection?

Thanks much,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Wolfe
1) Probably not. But, move the computer, use a shorter line and find out.

2) See 1.

Your problem is probably somewhere between the house and the CO, not between the jack and the computer.

Not to mention that 33K is probably the average connection speed for those on dial up anyway.

Reply to
Matt

Doubt that the length is a problem, based on my experience. The quality of the connection may be. If the wires are not tightly connected at a terminal block, it will induce static, slow a connection, or just die all together. It can also be the quality of the lines along the way from your house to the phone company switching station.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or how many other things are hanging off the same line...fax, etc.

Or the quality of the connections at the external junction box...those can oxidize very badly and cleaning them up can help.

Negotiated connection speed probably won't go up much, but you may reduce error rate enough to see noticeable improvement in throughput.

If your ISP will allow it (and you can find one, I'm pretty sure the

3COM one I have is no longer in production) and you have two phone lines, a dual-line sharing modem can virtually double throughput. It can be set up to only use the second (voice) line when it is not in use and to transparently drop back to single line if the voice line rings...
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I wish! I can only get 26k on good days, the problem is definitely between my house and the nearest exchange 10 miles away.

Reply to
Nick Hull

17 feet / 52800 feet (assuming 10 miles to phone co) equates to 0.032% of the total phone line. Probably not much of a factor ;)

See above.

Pick the phone up and yell into it. See if that helps.

Reply to
John Harlow

Can you get DSL in the area? If not then Dad's probably too far from the C.O. for any sort of modem speed.

You could temporarily disconnect all inside wiring from the arrestor, then run a loose piece of JKT wire from the arrestor to the computer. Use a standard length cord and a new jack. Eliminate most inside wiring problems.

If you see a speed increase then your in business. If not then that's all she wrote.

Lorence

Reply to
Lorence M

No.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

A long RJ11 cord may affect speed. Get him a 56K modem, preferably not a Win modem. All external modems are not Win modems.

Reply to
Phisherman

Subject: Re: Adding a phone jack? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Lorence M You could temporarily disconnect all inside wiring from

To the OP:

This is your best answer.

Reply to
G. Morgan

USB Modem are ALL win modems. (no UARTS)

All serial modems (whether external or internal) have UARTS.

External serial models are guaranteed to not be winmodems.

Reply to
Sexytom976

I have never had a phone heavy enough to require a jack. I can lift any phone in the house with just my hands. Where or why you have such a heavy phone indicates to me that it's time you invest in a new phone. They are not that costly. However, to lift the old phone, I'd think that any common automotive jack can lift the old phone until you can dispose of it.

Reply to
mickey4

"Stuff" handing off the line within the house just isn't much of a problem anymore. The "ringer equivalent" is often less that 0.1.

The "outside" plant of the telephone company often includes long runs of the same pairs going off in different directions. You have NO control over this but it is MUCH more likely to affect your service than answering machines, extra computers, extensions, portable phones, or whatever else you put on the line.

Maybe.

"Sometimes" when you have several runs from the "network interface" box one might go bad. But usually this is a case of working or not working. The reason is that 50' of less that perfect cable inside the house is as nothing compared to miles of wiring outside your house (including wiring that just runs off to nowhere.)

Reply to
John Gilmer