adding a outlet to a dimmer switch

I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.
I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..black and white.
Anthony wrote:

Yes. Lots of dimmer switches a sliding toggle to dim/brighten, push on off at any dim position.

I don't mess much with electricity but IME plain Jane household switches break one wire: the black one. If your switch has two terminals and a wire is attached to each then the white one is actually a continuation of the black; nice folks mark such "white" wires with a piece of black tape or black marker to avoid onfusing folks like us.
If that is the kind of switch you have you can't add an outlet using only what is there. You would need a separate white one going only to the outlet. I suppose you could use the existing "on" black wire from the switch to the outlet but the switch would also turn off the outlet as well as the overhead light.
--

dadiOH

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but if the two wires attached to the dimmer are the only wires in the box, you cannot create a new outlet from those wires. If there are other wires in the box, you probably can

The wires are attached to the switch don't matter at all. What matters is what wires come into the box. If there is only one piece of wire (with 2 to 4 conductors in it) you cannot add the recp.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:37:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, if one of the wires attached to the switch is white, it's a fair bet that it's a switch leg. Otherwise they'd both be black, and/or one would be red.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel