Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup. Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2 cup, I thought it would be ok

Reply to
Mikepier

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup. Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2 cup, I thought it would be ok

Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same way. How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Reply to
John Grabowski

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.

Reply to
Mikepier

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with all of the components and processes that go into the manufacturing of antifreeze. I did not know that there was a type that is environmentally friendly. I understand your pain though. I would hate to have to pay the landscaping company to come back again and blow out the lines around my place.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Well IF he put antifreeze in there it surely would be the pink rv stuff that is totally harmless. AND even IF it were the automotive stuff, 15 million cups of the stuff diluted the way we're talking about would be harmless also.

Steve Barker DLT

I just had an idea. Since this is only a 3/4" PVC about 30 feet long with the other end open under my deck, I think I can get away with using a nail gun compressor. It 6 gal. It should be enough volume to push out whatever is in there.

Reply to
Mikepier

I ran propylene glycol into my rather extensive system of drippers. If it does damage I'll have a dead blueberry field. Let's hope that next spring I don't have a disaster. In prior years I haven't noticed any damage to the weeds growing under my boats from propylene glycol.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

replying to Erma1ina, Roger wrote: Propylene glycol is non toxic. Used in RVs pipes too. If you ingest a small amount, no problems.

Reply to
Roger

Hey John, wondering where you think the billions of litres/gallons of winds hield wiper antifreeze from all of the cars ends up? I know that mine just runs onto the ground. Apparently nobody thinks this is a problem so I can 't see why it would be an issue to put it in your underground sprinkler pip es. Just sayin. I am talking about non-toxic RV antifreeze.

Reply to
haahr1

The windshield wiper fluid antifreeze usually contains methyl alcohol although some Prestone products have a percent or two of ethylene glycol.

It's down in section 12:

"Methyl alcohol is expected to biodegrade in soil and water very rapidly."

That one isn't as clear cut but does say 'Persistence is unlikely'. Other MSDS documents are also unclear. The big problem is animals drinking high concentrations.

Reply to
rbowman