Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

Page 2 of 2
Dick Adams wrote:

Just use roundup poison ivy killer. Works a treat and doesn't have every kid in the neighborhood in tears because her pussycat died horribly.
--John
try round up or brush killer. but you'll have to keep after it several times for a whole season.

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff. -b

I have some old vodka lying in the basement. That's safe.

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff.
Sprinkler systems must be designed to avoid this problem anyway. Otherwise, they can draw groundwater into the city water pipes if the water pressure is shut off for repairs.
a proper system will have an anti backflow valve on it. AND the situation is more of a long shot that getting hit by lightning in a church anyway.

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff. -b
Mikepier wrote:

I ran propylene glycol into my rather extensive system of drippers. If it does damage I'll have a dead blueberry field. Let's hope that next spring I don't have a disaster. In prior years I haven't noticed any damage to the weeds growing under my boats from propylene glycol.
Boden