Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

Page 1 of 2
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this? (I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

How would you get the antifreeze out in the spring?
turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup. Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2 cup, I thought it would be ok

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup. Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2 cup, I thought it would be ok
Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same way. How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.
I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with all of the components and processes that go into the manufacturing of antifreeze. I did not know that there was a type that is environmentally friendly. I understand your pain though. I would hate to have to pay the landscaping company to come back again and blow out the lines around my place.
Well IF he put antifreeze in there it surely would be the pink rv stuff that is totally harmless. AND even IF it were the automotive stuff, 15 million cups of the stuff diluted the way we're talking about would be harmless also.

I just had an idea. Since this is only a 3/4" PVC about 30 feet long with the other end open under my deck, I think I can get away with using a nail gun compressor. It 6 gal. It should be enough volume to push out whatever is in there.
better blow it again. the smallest amount of water will pool in a low spot, and if that's not 24" or better underground, it's gonna freeze and break pvc. Pouring antifreeze in there will probably just push the water further downline.

BTDT........had the same thing happen in another situation where someone "re-hotted" my blown out sprinkler line.
I considered the antifreeze solution but I just bit the bullet and the did the compressor thing again because I didn't want to be blowing antifreeze on my lawn / shrubs in the spring.
I also removed the handle so the mistake was less likely.
Tell your friend what happened...I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out.
cheers Bob
Mikepier wrote:

I think you'd better check out the following:
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/680.html
Here's an excerpt:
"The freezing point of an anti-freeze/coolant solution depends on the concentration of the solution, and rises when the ratio of antifreeze to water exceeds 60%. . . . ethylene glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed."
ethylene glycol is a really good plant killer too (and nothing usually regrows where it has been spilt) so would you really want to flush it out later by turning the sprinklers on?
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Google "ethylene glycol weedkiller"
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
just flat not true. i've been flushing cooling systems on grass for years and never killed any yet.

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the latter is safer.
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Not privy to it but don't they make some kind of non-toxic antifreeze for RV's or something?
yes, and that's what would be proper for a sprinkler system anyway. Everyone jumped to wrong conclusions as usual. (and they were wrong about it, at that)

Good to know. I'll look for ethylene glycol to spray on area where there is poison ivy.
Dick