Adding a hoist to my garage ceiling. How much weight can I safely hoist?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 04:44:01 +0000, Fred

If you hang from the truss lower chord as close to the door header as you can get, you should be OK.
There's a difference between the joists being in compression from the roof and the bottom of the joist being in tension from hanging the hoist.