Adding a dish washer

If I add a new dish washer, I assume I will get the hot & old water supply from the kitchen sink water supply. Do I need something to "split" the water to the faucet and the dish washer? Also does the dish washer drain into where the kitchen sink drains? Can I connect it laterally to the kitchen p-trap or do I need to actually connect to the drain line which is behind inside the exterior wall? I assume I will need a 240V outlet, right now my refrigerator connects to it, so I need to install another outlet, does it need to be GFIC (spelling)?
Thanks in advance,

Only hot is needed. You don't need either cold or old water. In most cases it is easierst to p ut a "t" in the feed line to the sink, sometimes is is esier to come up from the basement if the ceiling is open.

A T fitting.

You can buy a piece of the drain pipe with an inlet for a dishwasher. If you have a garbage disposal there will be a connection on the side.

What country are you in? In the US it is 120V, in other countries it may be 240V. It should not share the circuit with a refrigerator.

Sure can't hurt. I'm not sure what the code is on that.
I am in the US. My refrigerator is using a 120V outlet but my washing machine is plugged into a 240V outlet. I just assume may be a dish washer will need 240V?
Thanks,
wrote in message

supply
is
be

I've never seen a 240 washer. Dryer, yes. DW are all 120. Some brands have the manual on line so you can see in advance what you need.

You just need 120V. And, while code doesn't require either a dedicated circuit or a GFCI for the DW, both are a reasonable thing to do. You probably should check the installation manual for your DW -- some manufacturers require a dedicated circuit in order for the warranty to apply (especially for those DWs with a "water heat" option -- those babies suck down the juice).
BTW, are you *sure* your washing machine is on 240V? That's not very common in the US. Electric dryer, yeah, but washer?
orangetrader wrote:

I connected the discharge of my Kitchen Aid into the garbage disposal knock-out which is high enough, per manufacturer's instructions, that I did not need a vacuum breaker up on the counter. If you don't have a disposal, a 'T' at sufficient height should be OK. Said height should be in your dishwasher's instructions somewhere.
orangetrader wrote:

OOPS. Focused on the discharge. 120Vac should be fine. GCFI depends on code, but I did just because. Hot water only required. Operating instructions will likely call for running the hot faucet to clear the cold from the pipes for more efficient cleaning.